Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Julesdm
    I did think of that position, but went off the idea due to the pump being in the engine bay and further away from the tank,also its close to the exhaust.
    I may look at that position again as its proving very difficult to position my carter pump,there is always something in the way.
    Some form of heat shield above the pump might help.
    Martin

I have a carter mounted near the bellhousing, at wide open throttle on a 351c with a 650 double pumper I run out of fuel at the top of the Rev range! The issue is it’s a push pump not a pull pump, I need 7psi at the carb and I’m only achieving 5.5psi, so I need to move mine closer to the tank with limited space in the AK gen 1 chassis, cheers, Lee

Jules you say no issues but wait until you floor it in 3rd and run it to the red line!

Lee my pump, red top, only produces 4 psi......750 double pumper carb.....havent had the chance to red line it yet.......oh dear.
    Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Jules you say no issues but wait until you floor it in 3rd and run it to the red line!
    AK Cobra started 06/19
    Chevy 383 Stroker, TKO 600
    See my build on instagram: Julesdm14

FAO Darnpistonbroke - fuel pump location

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    I would be interested to see any photos of how you mounted this and the plumbing routing. I am not at all happy with the present location, two inches from a rapidly rotating shaft!

Cheers, David.
    Hi David,

apols - only just seen this (I remember a time once you had posted in a thread, you got an email notification whenever someone posted to it too!)

Pics attached of pump location. I made up the cover myself from some aluminium checker plate.
    It's fastened to and fits over 3 extra bolts fitted to the pump bracket. - which is fitted to the side of the boot with a metal plate bonded to the outside for strength
    bottom of cover is folded back along the boot floor so that it is up against the inside arch (so that it can't be pushed back onto the pump or filter).

Standard Dax tank - so feed is from the centre bottom going forward. I've curved it back round and up the side of the tank so that it enters the boot from below (held by p-clips under the diff if I remember correctly).
    Feed from the pump is out through the bottom of the higher section - so directly down the outside back of the cockpit behind the passenger - with a metal plate bonded to the fibre glass to take a fastener / p-clip, then to the inside of the centre chassis rail as per 'usual'.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting, I am mounting mine at the back of the car near the bottom of the tank, I am using a Holley 130gph pump, any reason that these don't seem to be used by any of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Julesdm View Post
    Lee my pump, red top, only produces 4 psi......750 double pumper carb.....havent had the chance to red line it yet.......oh dear.
    Its pretty marginal for a 383 Chevy. The rule of thumb is 10 gallons per hour per 100 hp. Red Tops are only around 35-40 GPH. The common Carter pumps are 72GPH, £80 from Roadcraft.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Its pretty marginal for a 383 Chevy. The rule of thumb is 10 gallons per hour per 100 hp. Red Tops are only around 35-40 GPH. The common Carter pumps are 72GPH, £80 from Roadcraft.
    As I mentioned before, my Carter is mounted in the boot on my 4L Rv8 with Holley 390 vac secondaries and runs at about
    4psi .
    Has always worked well in the twenty odd years that I've had the cob, only minor problem that I had was with the electrical connection falling of .
    Easily rectified by gently squeezing the connectors on the small sub loom.
    I am quite surprised about how good the fuel delivery is the common Carter pump @ 72gph !
    That will be plenty for an rv8.
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by glip View Post
    Hi David,

apols - only just seen this (I remember a time once you had posted in a thread, you got an email notification whenever someone posted to it too!)

Pics attached of pump location. I made up the cover myself from some aluminium checker plate.
    It's fastened to and fits over 3 extra bolts fitted to the pump bracket. - which is fitted to the side of the boot with a metal plate bonded to the outside for strength
    bottom of cover is folded back along the boot floor so that it is up against the inside arch (so that it can't be pushed back onto the pump or filter).

Standard Dax tank - so feed is from the centre bottom going forward. I've curved it back round and up the side of the tank so that it enters the boot from below (held by p-clips under the diff if I remember correctly).
    Feed from the pump is out through the bottom of the higher section - so directly down the outside back of the cockpit behind the passenger - with a metal plate bonded to the fibre glass to take a fastener / p-clip, then to the inside of the centre chassis rail as per 'usual'.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Thanks Geoff. That’s quite interesting although I’m surprised you have no problems with it. Fuel pumps of this type usually rely on gravity feed as they are pressure pumps rather than scavenge pumps. That’s also why they need to be as close to the fuel tank as possible. Where yours is positioned is well above the highest point of the fuel tank. But if it works......
    Mine is currently positioned under the aft centre tunnel section. But I had an inlet pipe specially made to give me more of a bore going into the pump and a standard bore exiting the pump. I’ll be fabricating a mounting bracket this weekend so that the pump is mounted on the chassis rather than the tunnel itself as it’s rather noisy in its current position.

David.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12