Thread: Tax and MOT

Tax and MOT

This is probably not news to old hands, but having been through IVA in December 2019 I got my V5 with an age related number in January. I (mistakenly) only paid for 6 months tax so received a reminder in early June. Despite several attempts at calling DVLA and trying to tax the vehicle on line and over the phone, the message 'Your vehicle needs an MOT' kept coming up.
    DVLA are not answering calls (too busy) and not answering emails either, and there's no point in trying a Post Office because they will ask for an MOT as well. There is a form V112 for MOT exemptions but it does not have a box for 'I had an IVA within the last 3 years'. In desperation I found the phone number of the nice lady at DVLA Kits and Rebuilds and her colleague could not have been more helpful. He just said 'send me the cheque and the V11 and I'll sort it out - we get this occasionally, especially with 'Q' plates'.
    So just a warning to any other recent builds that one part of DVLA may not speak to the other and for the first two + years' tax renewals you might get an 'MOT required' message, which it is not. I did ask if the issue might 'ping' ANPR and he said no.
    It's possible this was caused when DVLA changed the format of the V11 in Jan 2019 - mine clearly said 'this vehicle needs an MOT'.

Might be worth sharing the number you found in case others find themselves in the same position..

Thanks for the reply - the number was on the letter I received from DVLA Kits & Rebuilds when they sent me the number plate authorisation, so I guessed most would have it, but it is 01792 788851. I checked this morning and the tax has gone through OK but the MOT status says 'not known'. If DVLA don't know, how should we!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
    Thanks for the reply - the number was on the letter I received from DVLA Kits & Rebuilds when they sent me the number plate authorisation, so I guessed most would have it, but it is 01792 788851. I checked this morning and the tax has gone through OK but the MOT status says 'not known'. If DVLA don't know, how should we!
    ah, the joy of cognitive dissonance in big organisations!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.