Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New speedometer & sensor

Hi guys,
    i know a few on here have fitted a Daytona speedo pickup sensor, which I have just done.
    I am using a smiths classic gauge from CIA .
    I cannot get the sensor to show any reading on the clock. Speedo instruction say connect red wire if you are using some NPN or PNP type pickups, did any one have to do this.

Any help greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Ian

tried to post Some Pics to help anybody Identify the Daytona Pickup sensor, as mentioned above, But the 'insert image' does not seem to be working for me.
    It is a 3 wire sender with +ve and -ve and a feed wire to generate the pulse.
    I have set it very close to the bolt heads so don't think the distance is the issue.

Posted a link instead.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daytona-A...MAAOSwLRde0YQw
    Last edited by gd427man; 06-07-20 at 09:14 AM.

Does the sensor have any way of indicating that it's picking up a pulse? The type you buy from Smiths has an LED that lights when it pulses.

A few other checks could be:
    Have you checked all the connections to the Speedo are OK?
    Have you put a voltmeter on the wires from the sensor to see if it is generating a pulse and then also put one at the speedo end to see if it's getting to the speedo?

Otherwise I'm stumped.

Hi mark.
    No it does not have the LED indicator. (may be wising I had bought the smiths unit now)
    I have checked the wiring especially as the unit (smiths is the same) said blue for -ve and black for pulse signal.
    The speedo seems to be wired ok as I have power when ignition on and it does a 'full sweep' and I also have illumination etc
    Haven't checked with voltmeter yet, could be tonight's job as well as moving the unit around a bit. Not sure if a voltmeter would read as I suspect it would generate a very small signal ?
    Thanks for the help.

If it’s this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262277104778
    It does have an led (you can’t see it until it flashes. Honest it does) and you do need to connect the live, neutral and pulse.
    I have exactly that setup and it works perfectly.

Yes sir,
    It is exactly that unit.
    No mention of the LED though in the description and haven't seen it in the instructions.
    Where is the LED ?
    I will be trying again tonight.
    did you use a smiths gauge?
    if so did you connect to the black/white pulse wire without the red wire being connected to the +ve (speedo instruction say, connect red wire if you are using some NPN or PNP type pickups) ?
    Your help is appreciated.
    Thanks

It’s a tiny square led on the actual sensor. Yes you must connect the live. I also have the smiths instruments that do a full sweep with ignition.
    Connect the live and wave a nut by the sensor you should see the led flash. You’re not using stainless steel bolts they’re non magnetic.

Your post has reminded me that I got that very unit from that very place.
    I have just rung digital speedo's and they say that I do need to connect the red wire at the back of the gauge to the +ve (ass well as the green which supplies power to the gauge)
    (Speedo instruction say connect red wire if you are using some NPN or PNP type pickups)
    So I'll give that a try tonight and hopefully all will be well.
    He also told me the LED is right on the end which will be difficult to see the way I have mounted it but I'll give it a go.
    Thanks for the help guys.
    More tomorrow.....

So I got under the car last night with a mirror and turned the prop shaft. I saw a flash from the LED on each bolt head...Excellent.
    So back up top side I connected the red wire to =ve and spun the wheel again and hey presto the speedo flickered a bit.
    Great success !
    Need to calibrate it now... (may have to tax it to do that !)

Interesting though my smiths speedo does a full sweep on ingintion but the tacho does not ! But it seems to work fine.

I also found in the process of fitting this kit that I need a diff pinion seal and nobody seems to have them. Tried John Gordon and wards so far.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Cheers
    Ian

Excellent news.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast