Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expansion tank

Don's car is a Pilgrim, and I believe has been touring etc.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Great ta much appreciated

Hi,
    Yes, as said in my other reply, been away for a bit. Surprising I don't have any photos, but will take some in the next few days and upload them.
    Regards, Don

Hi,
    Took a photo today of the header tank. Fitted in 2014 and it's been fine, working OK with 1.1 Bar pressure cap.
    Replaced the old Sierra radiator earlier this year with a custom made one by Coolex in Nottingham, to the old Sierra dimensions expect for the fact it now has a 50mm core instead of the Sierra 20mm (I think) core.
    The radiator capacity went from 1.5Lt (Sierra) to 4.5Lt (Coolex).
    Even with the old Sierra radiator, the coolant expanded perfectly from the header to the expansion tank, and then returned as everything cooled down.
    It still works fine with the new radiator as you would expect.
    Hope this is of use.
    Regards, Don

Ah! Once again, I can't upload the photo, I'll email it to you.

I spent many a night in the Premier Inn Nottingham and it was 100 yards away. How strange sometimes you never know that you have a service like this on your door step.

The volume is 2 1/2 times as its three core probably you will notice the fan coming on less. Also with it being aluminium the heat will dissipate quicker. I have gone from a 75mm copper to 55mm aluminium and it is more efficient in cooling. Alos a big weight saving in volume of water and lighter aluminium.

https://www.coolexperts.co.uk/motor-vehicles/

Coolex Heat Transfer Ltd.
    Former Ambulance Station, 1 Salop Street, Daybrook, Nottingham
    Nottinghamshire, NG5 6HP, United Kingdom

Thanks for the post Don
    Last edited by jon1d; 19-09-20 at 12:51 PM.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Hi,
    Yes, small world sometimes.
    The rad is fitted with twin fans by Coolex on some excellent welded on brackets. I've always had twin fans, so have twin relays. I took the opportunity to fit a double temperature fan switch at the same time. So one fan comes on at 97°C and off at 92°C, the other comes on 107°C and off at 96°C. It's only in traffic queues that one fan comes on and I can only tell that by a slight dip in the voltmeter needle, a the fan is so quite compared to my old ones. Sometimes when I park up after being in a queue, both fans are on, but they soon go off. Driving along the temperature stays at about 85°C to 90°C, which is about optimum. Wish I'd got the new rad years ago.
    Regards, Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12