Thread: Sumo roll bar

Sumo roll bar

Does anyone know (even better has anyone done) a double roll bar to single roll bar conversion on a sumo ? Anyone know if it’s possible . I remember the double roll bar fitting through the body and clamping down on the upright in the chassis under the body , but not sure (cant remember ) if there are four uprights to take single roll bars ?

I think I have just found that I would need single roll bar brackets in order to do this and I assume bolt or weld to the chassis ? Without taking the body off I don’t think I have a chance doing this - how could I get to the chassis behind the Petrol tank to fit?

You can drill and bolt in the extra support, available from Pilgrim, but will need to remove the fuel tank. Tricky but do-able.

hmmm is it worth all the fuss!

I quite like the single hoop that I’ve got , and have actually used it as a towel rail when going to the beach!!

I have the single loop on my srv8 ,
    That's what I chose at the time and have had that for the last twenty years,
    Have no desire to change to the single version, it's all down to individual taste.
    On the Southern Roadcraft version you can fit a bracket that used to be welded to the central part of the chassis if you required the single loop or two single loops .
    I would think it would be fairly involved to fit after the shell has been fitted !
    Chris .

i fitted twin roll bars to my old Sumo - no need to take body off.
    You will need to unbolt the tank and take it out. Ideally you'll need to fit a spigot for the inner leg for the hoop - I didn't bother.
    Then you will need to drill the inner holes through the body which requires some careful measuring up.
    final_side_view.JPGshiny_rear.JPG
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.