Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    We had the facelift Z4. Hopefully BMW have moved the hood motor out of the rain channel on this model. If they haven’t, there’s an aftermarket fix relocating it which I suggest you google as we went through 2 in 3 years at £600 a go. Hope you have a lot of fun with it. I found it needed to be thrashed to get the best out of it.

It got sold so Kay could lug her very aged father to hospital In the mini she replaced it with.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Hi David.

Yes, whoever decided to mount the hood motor/pump unit there must have been smoking something. I've found a good independent BMW mechanic near me who also happens to be a Z4 forum member, and relocating the motor to the boot is one of his most popular services. I'll actually be doing that myself using a proper custom bracket for it rather than cable ties. However, I'm popping over to his workshop on Monday to get it up on the ramps so that we can check all the suspension bushes, as although there's no evidence of knocking or squeaking they can perish over time even if not stressed.

As the front and rear visibility when parking is actually worse than the Cobra, I'm currently fitting parking sensors and am designing custom number plate mounts for them. I have a hunch that within the next few years low mileage early 3.0 models will start to gain classic status, so I want to keep the car 100% original by avoiding drilling holes in the bumpers. I also have a few other Z4 projects on the go, but again my aim will be to make them invisible or easily reversible.

At 228 BHP / 221 lb-ft, it has around 60% of the power and torque of my current 383 SBC, and with a 0-60 time of 5.7 secs I'm finding it to ba a pretty good substitute. It's obviously a very different driving experience, but one I'm sure I'll appreciate more as I head rapidly towards my 70s!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)

Dax 427 DeDion - DEPOSIT NOW TAKEN www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62683

As said i did look in to about a z4 a year a go it could be the future for the old boys
    what's the road tax on it Alan I guess it,s the 3.0l to go for ?

Road tax is £330 Simon, and I suspect the 3.0i will prove to be the preferred model.

I spotted this eBay listing the other day, which is now shown on their website as sold - see here.

At 3600 miles it has very similar extra low mileage to mine, but it's a 3.2 M model and 2008 rather than 2003. The £38k price tag is quite astonishing - you can buy a brand new one for that!

Will I see you at The Swan a week tomorrow? My Dax will probably have gone to its new home by then, so your could see my Z4 in the flesh.
    Alan

Dax 427 DeDion - DEPOSIT NOW TAKEN www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62683

Cobra vs Z4, Cobra wins every time. It has so much more presence on the road as well as the sound. Z4’s seem to get lost in the traffic. They are not too noticeable. But the Cobra wins that competition too.
    I was sat in the beer garden of a pub last weekend, Dax parked just behind a very modern Porsche of some description with the hood down. Group of chaps walked past to look at them both. What was overheard made me realise exactly why I could never part with my Dax.
    ‘Which would you prefer?’
    ‘Cobra everyday of the week and twice on Sundays!’ Came the answer.

I never stepped forward as the owner of the car, it seemed like the wrong thing to do, but the feeling in my bones was what it was all about.
    I gave it another half an hour to finish my orange juice and lemonade before I made my departure.

David.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Funnily enough, the day after placing my order for the Dax with DB, I visited various main dealer car showrooms to get inspiration for the bodywork colour. The BMW showroom had a Sterling Grey 3.0i Z4 as the centrepiece, and while I was admiring it the sales guy came over to me. I said straight away that I didn't want to waste his time, as I'd just ordered a handbuilt car, and was only looking at car colours. I did add though that the Z4 was the same price, and was quite tempting. He then asked what car I'd ordered, so I told him it was a Cobra replica. To which he replied - "No contest, it has to be the Cobra!".

That's a true story, and for a sales guy to say that, knowing he had a walk-in customer with the money available who could potentially be tempted to change his mind, I think proves your point David!

It was only a temporary wobblette, and I'm really glad I bought the Cobra. If nothing else that Z4, had I bought it, with 31k miles on the clock would now only be worth around £3-4k - so apart from all the adventures and all the friends Cobra ownership has given me over 13 great years, it hasn't depreciated at all!
    Alan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123