Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Some great pictures and I really like the drawn edge on the glovebox. It had never occurred to me just how wrong the standard Ram dashboard is; maybe a future project.

Have you considered cutting down that huge transmission tunnel? I look at it and reckon that if you made it a snug fit on the chassis, possibly removable, you would gain quite a bit on interior space.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

God I wish you had not suggested that...... Lets see....That might wait until later, I really want to get it back on the road for next summenr.

Sorry about that. I think it is one of the ugliest bits of the Ram and I can only imagine it is that big to make fitting the body easier. If it fitted the tubes closer and followed their radius on the top edges it would look much better.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

I always accepted it was the price to pay for a space frame chassis but yes it could be better. I have been thinking about it and its not an insignificant job as by the time you have cut it all out there will be a lot of area to fill in on the floors and bulkhead area that would require significant work. I think its an over winter project once the rest f it is done. I will need to come up with ways of supporting the tunnel off of the chassis that does not involve welding bits on or cutting or drilling it as its all perfectly powder coated at the moment and is not getting messed with. Still food for thought.......

Yes, agreed, quite a job. You might mould a stiffener flange along the edge of the newly cut floor and the new lightweight tunnel mould/sheetmetal would sit on that, probably some rubber on the upper tubes to stop it chafing. As you say, quite a job to finish it at the front and rear bulkheads.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

The next step was to cut the aperture for the steering column, I took the dash out of the car, refitted the column and then used the dash fixing brackets to locate the cutout for the column that I then transferred to the dash:

This will need a further trim to the left for the wiring for the indicator stalk but for now it will enable me to fit the column and the dash.

I then marked out the gauges and the switch holes, these vary significantly, some are "D" shaped others just round but all the holes were drilled then filed where they are "D"'s to keep the centre point in the correct location. I used a hole saw to cut the gauge holes but a little trick here is to sandwich the ally between 2 sheets of ply, mark the holes on the ply then cut them, the hole saw will now wander around and your holes will be MUCH neater.

I then used my master glovebox template to cut the core of the lid out. The lid on the original cars is made in 3 parts, an outer aluminium skin, an inner core of ply and an inner skin of aluminium. After cutting the core out and allowing a recess in the bottom edge for the hinge I then tapered the core by 20degrees around the edge for it to fit into the aperture on the dash, once the core fitted well I transferred the profile to the aluminium and cut the outer skin. Once happy with these they then had the holes cut for the lock which requires a recessed hole in the back of the core for the lock ring on the glovebox lock. The two parts were then bonded together using an epoxy resin. The inner skin does not go into place until the lid is trimmed.

You can see that there is a strip of the covering vinyl on both sides of the hinge and also a square of it behind the glovebox catch, this is to ensure that all the components are sitting in the exact position that they will be in after trimming.

The little badge on the left of the lid is a reminder of a car my father had for years, a Jensen 541, the reason that I got interested in cars in the first place. Its a dealers badge and while searching for something else on ebay I found exactly the same badge so I am going to fit it as a reminder of that car.

As I said in another thread, I wanted to use the Lucas indicator stalk as used on late 427's. I have however been unable to find out what the cowling used for that stalk comes from, I had read that its MGB but it is not, in pictures of it you can see that it is a one piece unit that has a slot cut all the way back to the dashboard so that it can go over the stalk and then fix to the column:

Not very clear but I have found about 5 different images of different cars .

So the next thing to do if I could not find out what the cowl came from was to CAD one. I incorporated some fixing rail slots so that the cowl could slide over these onto the column and then fix with one screw from underneath. I made the bracket that clamps the indicator stalk to the column with these fixing rails as part of it.

CAD model:

Indicator stalk in place:

I then 3D printed the cowl using my resin printer gave it a coat of satin black and installed that:

Getting there now, here is a shot with some of the gauges and bits test fitted:

With the marker pen mostly removed:

So the differences in controls are that I have an extra warning light that will be for the radiator fans, I don't have a washer button as it is part of the wiper rotary switch and I don't have a horn button as that is on the end of the lucas stalk unlike the VW unit.

Fantastic work and looks great👍

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Sorry about that. I think it is one of the ugliest bits of the Ram and I can only imagine it is that big to make fitting the body easier. If it fitted the tubes closer and followed their radius on the top edges it would look much better.
    I’ve got pictures of a ram that’s had that done. Will try to dig them out

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast