Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi ,

Took a car for an IVA test last friday and asked my tester about LED lights. Any LED light that is below 2000 lumen can be fitted without self levelling and a wash system, BUT you do have to prove this with documentation ie receipt stating Lumen. most aftermarket LED lights that are any good are more than 2000. For MOT you would probably get away with it.

Jon

AK Sportscars

Quote Originally Posted by Andy302 View Post
    As far as I can tell the IVA regulations are based on the corresponding ECE regs. One thing to look at is Addendum 47: Regulation No. 48, this covers changes to the regs to catch up with LED lighting, DRLs, AFS etc. Now the ECE regs are type approval regs for new models and in my world that's what we have to follow, how it applies to the aftermarket is unclear. What we can say is that both the MOT and .gov pages you linked to are somewhat out of date for what is on the roads today. HID is now old technology that is dying out, LED is now more widely used. Construction and use regs and the UK lighting regs are similarly way behind the times with 1989 being the most recent update of the latter. One thing that is clear in the lighting regs is that no road user shall permit to be used on the road any lighting which dazzles other road users. Not sure where that leaves us TBH!
    Hi Andy, agreed the HID lamps guidelines I linked to were published on 1st May 2010, so are behind with regards to what’s currently on our roads today, but they are the latest published Government guild lines. However, I think you will agree, the MOT guidelines I linked to are pretty bang up to date as they were published on 30th October 2019.So although these regs definitely apply to new vehicles, as you say, LED’s are still a grey area, and how it applies to the aftermarket is still unclear.

So I thought sod it, I want to be safe and be able to see where I am going on dark wet country roads and have now fitted the (Classic car LED) H4 led bulbs, along with Lucas head lamp units, which I know a few others are planning to fit and, and as Jon at AK rightly guessed, the examiner didn’t ask what type of bulbs are fitted, and my cobra passed the MOT with flying colours as the beam pattern was perfect.

So as I have now driven the car quite a few times at night, as promised I said I would let you guys know how they performed, and to be honest the difference is amazing, as I no longer have two useless dim puddles of yellow light, instead I now have an evenly spread bright crisp perfect beam pattern, with a sharp cut off, which lights up the road a treat and not one single oncoming car flashed me. I even followed my wife who was in her Corsa, which is not a tall car, for many miles down an undulating country road and she said I did not dazzle or blind her once. So I am very pleased with my new lights and anything that makes driving our cobras safer, I think is money well spent.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Can you post a link to the exact product used? thanks.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks for the updated report Paul

As KevinW says - can you post a link to exact product and parts you used please - think a few may be interested in these myself included.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    Thanks for the updated report Paul

As KevinW says - can you post a link to exact product and parts you used please - think a few may be interested in these myself included.
    Your welcome.
    https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...=8239030763615
    https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/pro...29a8a768&_ss=r

Having scoured a fair few forums and technical reviews, and as recommend by Duncan at “Classic Car LED”, to achieve the best results, I went for the Lucas head lamp unit, which has the smooth reflector, and optical glass lenses. I was thinking of going for the “Tri-Bar version”, but was put off by a lot of the poor reviews on several forums, including a few on this forum. I suspect this may have been down to the metal tri bar trim interfering with the light pattern ?

Next time I have the cobra out at night, I will take a snap of the beam pattern against my garage door or wall and post it .
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by psh View Post
    Your welcome.
    https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...=8239030763615
    https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/pro...29a8a768&_ss=r

Having scoured a fair few forums and technical reviews, and as recommend by Duncan at “Classic Car LED”, to achieve the best results, I went for the Lucas head lamp unit, which has the smooth reflector, and optical glass lenses. I was thinking of going for the “Tri-Bar version”, but was put off by a lot of the poor reviews on several forums, including a few on this forum. I suspect this may have been down to the metal tri bar trim interfering with the light pattern ?

Next time I have the cobra out at night, I will take a snap of the beam pattern against my garage door or wall and post it .
    He's a good guy. I put the same in mine a year or two ago and they are, as you say, absolutely amazing. Well worth doing, transformed the night time experience
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Anybody used these, https://www.lightnineo.com/product/n...le-beam-angle/ or know of a reason not to? Says "made in China" on the box but pretty much everything is now days, reviews are good.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

I tried to click on the reviews and it wouldn't expand. I'm also a little cautious about buying blubs from a US address when things like beam alignment need to be considered. My nervousness might be completely unfounded though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatwick Axe Man View Post
    Anybody used these, https://www.lightnineo.com/product/n...le-beam-angle/ or know of a reason not to? Says "made in China" on the box but pretty much everything is now days, reviews are good.

Graham.
    Guaranteed IVA Fail on those Graham, stick with £5’s worth of bogo H4’s til post test

Rgds
    Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

It's hard work trying to save money and get quality at the same time.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast