LT77 Gearbox engineer required

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a reputable and experienced gearbox engineer in or around Essex/London that could take a look at my LT77 gearbox? I dont want to risk taking it to the local garage who will spend a week faffing around trying to figure out what's wrong with it and possible changing and/or mis-diagnosing the problem and then charging me a fortune for all the wasted time and parts. I've always had trouble selecting 3rd gear but now in addition, 1st and 2nd are increasing more difficult to select, especially once the car has warmed up. 1st gear now seems to have moved beyond the tension you feel when trying to select reverse. At the traffic lights I frantically wiggle the stick pushing and shoving in an attempt to get first instead of 3rd to prevent the ever increasing embaressment of being unable to pull away like a 90 year old on a mobility scooter! Selecting second gear is near impossible when turning into a road so i have a little battle each time and end up in whichever gear it'll let me choose (usually 3rd!).

Many thanks

Kev
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

I can't help you with anyone that knows the way around the LT77, these people are now becoming far and few between
    what I do know is that if your using the wrong oil the gear change it will be horrendously heavy until every thing is warmed up although that should not be a problem at the moment .
    When I had my LT 77 sd1 box rebuilt, it was built with updated bulk rings and the oil that I used was MTX 75 type .
    The other modification was that the gearbox was over filled by an extra three quarters of a pint .
    Rover had different ideas on the oils used in this box, the official one was to use EP75 or EP80, then they started recommending ATF fluid due to its viscosity although I would not recommend the ATF in my opinion .
    The gearbox in my cob has been working well and always a good gear change if the driver is in good working order !
    The LT77 is not rocket science but you do need someone that has a good range of bits in addition to a standard rebuild kit.
    Good luck,
    Chris.

Try www.gearboxman.co.uk a ring. They are near Luton. When I had my Cosworth I heard very good things about them, seem to know their stuff.
    Baz

Hardy Engineering - Gearbox Repairers in London & Surrey

www.hardyengineering.co.uk

Hardy Engineering has been providing quality gearbox repairs on all types of ... Located at Leatherhead in Surrey (20 miles from London) our fully equipped ...

Contact Us

Information regarding how to contact our sales and repair ...

Gallery

Hardy Engineering Our online picture gallery of various car ...

More results from hardyengineering.co.uk ยป

i know a family friend who highly recommends them from personal use when they fixed his rover 25 cvt when no one else wanted to know

Many thanks, I will give them a go
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.