Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dax coolant plumbing

I was out in the Dax today and coming down a hill, as I rounded out onto a flat the car grounded out on the road. This was followed by a rattle as if something was hanging off. After a brief look I saw the lower radiator pipe hanging Lower than it should be. Luckily with this being a kitcar I was equipped to sort it with the aid of a couple of large tie-wraps.
    The pipe is the lowest point on the car which seems a little ridiculous seeing that it’s probably a pipe that should be high on the priority list. Question, has anyone modified their cooling system to enable this pipe to be routed over the chassis member and not under it? If so, how did you do it?
    The chassis is a 1999 non braced model.

Cheers,

David.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Wessex region caretaker rep.

I'll have a look and post a picture tomorrow.
    Cheers Clive

Hi David,
    What engine you running? As the routing varies. On the Ford.route it goes over the chassis on my car the outlet of the water pump is on the near side.
    I believe on the Chevy most are run under. Whether the out let of the water pump is lower not allowing sufficient up and over.
    I run a small rubber 90 pipe into bespoke S stainless pipe which is attached to the chassis then inro another 90deg to take it to the bottom hose of the rad . No high spots are essential to stop any air locks.

I’m running a SBC. I was thinking of having a ‘humped’ pipe made with a bleed point located at the top of the hump. I don’t know if that would work though. Although once the air is out of that pipe, all should be well.

I don't have any humps or high spots. You will tend to get air collect at these points. A bleed or vent point will remove the air at the time but air will always fined the pockets.

Do you have ladder or Dion chassis as the chassis cross might get in the way. I have ladder chassis.
    Last edited by jon1d; 04-08-20 at 11:58 AM.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Mine is a ladder. Old school!

Hi David,

I have a Dax mk IV chassis (1997) & SBC.

I'm using the rad & pipe kit that Dax supplied at the time - which has a stainless tube that runs under the 2 front chassis rails and then bends up and over the front of the steering rack. I've had the chin ground out many a time, but have never had the lower rad pip hit the floor - though I have (temporarily some time around 20 years ago) cable tied it to the first chassis rail so that it doesn't droop.
    Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Geoff

Hi Geoff. Mine is the same set up.
    I am running some very old shocks which really need replacing as the car runs very very low. Grounding out something or other is a common pastime every time I take her out. The suspension is set to the highest it will go. Maybe a change to a Gaz set up will enable her to sit a little higher.

Another thing I had thought of doing was to ‘flatten out’ the pipe where it runs under the chassis members but maintain the tubular area so as not to impede the flow of water. Then welde a couple of lugs onto the flattened section and bolt it with the aid of rivnuts to the chassis member. This should also help with the clearance issues.
    Luckily on Sunday I had an abundance of tie wraps and was on my way again within a few minutes. The wife wasn’t impressed though! So I just blamed her for being the additional weight to the car and causing the grounding out. The sofa is surprisingly comfortable!!

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

If the car is running 'very very low' with the suspension set as high it will go, then it sounds like your problem is with the springs rather than the dampers.
    I'm running the original/Dax supplied springs and Spax dampers and the adjuster rings on the rear are all the way to the bottom and the fronts aren't too far off either - this gives me the 5" rear & 4" front ground clearance as per the manual.

Just been and had a look under the front of the Dax - and that bottom pipe is near enough the same height at the bottom of the steering rack - though the cable ties are holding it very close to the bottom of the cross member chassis rails.

Cheers
    Geoff

Hi Geoff.

I’m also running Spax and the shocks have been an advisory for the past couple of years owing to misting. The set up is ever so old so that’s the next thing on my shopping list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast