Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saying hi to all

Hi all,

I'm super excited to join the club.

I'm very fresh but I really want to deep my toes and learn more about Cobras, as I'm planning to buy one.

So far a read a few posts but I know I'm just starting a very long journey.

First and foremost I'd love to learn about the engine options (which I'm pretty sure which one I'd chose if it comes to the sound) but there are other factors too.

I'm also very much interested in how much this fun costs, although I'm quite confident I can handle it, nevertheless it's better to know all the numbers before committing to such an expensive hobby.

I'd really love to buy myself a Cobra as soon as possible, but I want to give myself about an year to do a proper research, test drives etc.

Hi Maxmatrix (name?)

Welcome aboard

Usual first questions:

1. Budget
    2. Building it or ready built
    3. Use i.e. tourer, tourer with some track, track, dragstrip
    4. You mention in another thread buying from US - why? plenty UK suppliers/manufactures - also Factory Five available in UK to
    5. Bling or traditional

Ask questions on here - any question, only daft one is the one not asked

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Welcome, I gather from that, that you are going to buy a finished car rather than build one?
    Don't buy anything that isn't a V8.
    Engine Options:
    Ford Small block or big block (as per original)
    Chevy Small block popular in UK replicas.
    Rover / TVR V8 popular and lightweight in UK replicas.
    New kid on the block in recent years Lexus V8.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    Hi Maxmatrix (name?)

Welcome aboard

Usual first questions:

1. Budget
    2. Building it or ready built
    3. Use i.e. tourer, tourer with some track, track, dragstrip
    4. You mention in another thread buying from US - why? plenty UK suppliers/manufactures - also Factory Five available in UK to
    5. Bling or traditional
    Gary
    Maxmatix (no "r" in there ) and my real name is Mat (sort of )

To answer all of your questions:

1. Budget - ideally no more than £50k (but from what I see I'll have to shell out more - so I'd say £70k is the upper limit)
    2. Ready build - I'm not a mechanic, entirely different career path
    3. Tourer with some tracks
    4. Yes, I really like Backdraft Cobras (the shape and the dash, and modern solutions like suspensions etc (BMW base)) which leads me to the last question
    5. Blacked out pipes and wheels would be perfect (I wouldn't mind modern look gauges but I think all these options would cost me an arm and a leg so out of my budget)

If it comes to FF I've already send a message to the gentleman who posted the thread about FF builds available in the UK, but I also have read that Backdrafts build quality is better. (needs a more thorough research)

I work for a US based company so I might have an option to stay there for a while and research the market, although I have to admit would be better to have a local dealer.
    Last edited by maxmatix; 05-08-20 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Welcome, I gather from that, that you are going to buy a finished car rather than build one?
    Don't buy anything that isn't a V8.
    Engine Options:
    Ford Small block or big block (as per original)
    Chevy Small block popular in UK replicas.
    Rover / TVR V8 popular and lightweight in UK replicas.
    New kid on the block in recent years Lexus V8.
    If it comes to the engine options, 351W would be perfect, but as I've seen on different forums people also consider different engines due to economics and reliability.
    I'm really a fan of the 351W sound so this would be perfect + EFI which I think is not a problem to order with a build.
    Last edited by maxmatix; 05-08-20 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmatix View Post
    If it comes to the engine options, 351W would be perfect, but as I've seen on different forums people also consider different engines due to economics and reliability.
    I'm really a fan of the 351W sound so this would be perfect + EFI which I think is not a problem to order with a build.

- ah, so you are planning on commissioning a factory build?
    You could do worse than contact Anthony at Absolute Horespower:
    https://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

You need to take your time and research . You have a list which is good as a starter which will change as you narrow down what your after.

1. Crendon.
    2. Ak
    3. GD
    4. Dave Brooks.
    5. FF
    6. Others I missed !

You should get a nice example for your budget.

The Ford engine 351 Winsdor or rarer Cleveland. More people are going LS3 modern engine 500 bhp if you don't mined having a modern engine.
    Most common are Chevy 5.7 and stroked 383 great bang for your bucks.

The FF is now in the U.K. ( There are some detailed build videos on you tube). Backdraft in the USA you will have to import and ship then register.

Take a look at a commission with Dave Brooks. He has built over 100 cobras. A wealth of knowledge and experience.

Ask lots of questions. Keep them coming.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    You need to take your time and research . You have a list which is good as a starter which will change as you narrow down what your after.

1. Crendon.
    2. Ak
    3. GD
    4. Dave Brooks.
    5. FF
    6. Others I missed !
    Lots of choices to ponder on.

I really like the "american" style interior like the one Crendon builds have. From what I see they don't offer complete builds?

I'm pretty much fixed on FF or BackDraft but this is probably because they are the ones most popular on YouTube

But in all fairness, in my opinion BackDraft are the most beautiful (I know not everyone likes them)

I might change my mind along the way, and also I don't want to hit my pocket too much either, and BD seems to be the most expensive choice.
    My name is Mat.
    Looking for my first Cobra

Welcome to the forum

Just to clarify myself at Absolute Horsepower/Crendon replicas do offer full builds

I also have extensive knowledge and build experience of all U.K. kits and the US ones having been a build agent for most makes over the years before taking Crendon over

If you wish to have a chat and pick my brains or pop by for a coffee your more than welcome.

Good luck with your cobra journey, whatever you decide the industry is now full of very good quality Replicas and long established companies who all have a passion for these cars.

Right hand drive !
    You will be caught behind slow moving traffic - BMWs, Mercedes, 4x4s, yummy mummys on the school run, hot hatches, trucks, buses and 99% of anything else.
    You will have the power to go round them.
    You are low down and will struggle to see around them.
    Don’t make life more difficult by driving a left hooker in the UK.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast