Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Don't go out in the wet on your first drive out. You will end up in a hedge or field looking at the cows!

It sounds like you have some good driving experience of fast cars which is a good starting point. I had some good track days with instruction and defensive driving coarse which helps.

Your in London so the Maclaren World skid pad and driving experience at Brooklands is a good day. It will be in Mercedes but they take you through a lot on the skid pad and the off road is good.

Get use to the car on roads you know well and always keep in mind that your driving a car without modern controls to get you out of trouble. ABS, anti skid control and traction controls do not exist.
    Depending on the car set up some have bump steer issues and I know people who have sold there cars as they say its un-driveable. A good suspension set up is worth paying for. Go to someone who knows your suspension. The other think to check is tyre pressures. The low 20 psi should get you in the right area and carry some weight in the boot like tools as no weight in the back can make it let go. LSD diff does help to get the power down.

If you want a drive out your not far from Essex which have some drive outs (PM SENT).Put that power down only in a straight line ! Enjoy
    Last edited by jon1d; 05-08-20 at 12:20 PM.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

re a rally course, perhaps not as daft as it sounds
    I’ve drag raced my last one on occasion at Santa Pod, a track with a start line effectively made of rubber. Launch/60ft times are very poor for such a hefty power to weight ratio. Once past 30mph they fly. (Very annoying for your opponent who thought he’d got you with a better start!)
    They have pretty poor rear end grip compared to modern cars. No traction control, usually no LSD, little weight over the rear end etc.
    Throw in such a short wheelbase you need to react fast to catch them.
    As said by others though, drive them steadily and you’ll have no need of training.
    Last edited by Lloyd Barnes; 05-08-20 at 12:37 PM.

The main thing to remember is that these cars are always scheming on how to end your life. I can always sense mine thinking that perhaps today will be the day when it succeeds! Albeit very different cars to the originals in most cases, these still have rear wheel drive, no ABS, no active suspension, no launch control and no computers to put things right when you run out of talent. Not to mention you have a very powerful car that was built in a shed!
    Treat with respect and she will look after you.

David.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Have a long travel on the throttle pedal and pull away in second gear, don't put the power down hard until you are facing in a straight line and never in the wet. Short shift through the gears and use the massive torque in the higher gears for acceleration which will reduce tyre spin and loss of traction but be prepared for tyre spin even at 100mph plus speeds if you are heavy with the throttle. They are not easy cars to drive near the limit so take your time and build up in increments over a period of time. Your F-Type will forgive mistakes your Cobra will not.

CONTEMPORARY CCX3-3741

FORD RACING DIVISION 515ci
    JERICO WC4 (Sold)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGUj87r9bY

I will back most of the above comments,
    Get out there and enjoy the ride I have for the last twenty five odd years.
    Make sure you respect the Cob due to most having no get you out of trouble equipment and it should respect you.
    These cars back in the early days did have a reputation !
    The other thing that should be mentioned if no one else has,
    Is about the second bit they give if you have side pipes.
    Most people usually do it the once !
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    I will back most of the above comments,
    Get out there and enjoy the ride I have for the last twenty five odd years.
    Make sure you respect the Cob due to most having no get you out of trouble equipment and it should respect you.
    These cars back in the early days did have a reputation !
    The other thing that should be mentioned if no one else has,
    Is about the second bit they give if you have side pipes.
    Most people usually do it the once !
    Chris.
    Not to mention the hearing loss!!!!!
    Oh, and buy the best tyres you can.
    Wouldn’t be a Cobra if it was easy to drive

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    The main thing to remember is that these cars are always scheming on how to end your life. I can always sense mine thinking that perhaps today will be the day when it succeeds! Albeit very different cars to the originals in most cases, these still have rear wheel drive, no ABS, no active suspension, no launch control and no computers to put things right when you run out of talent. Not to mention you have a very powerful car that was built in a shed!
    Treat with respect and she will look after you.

David.
    The first line made me laugh out loud because it seems so true. I agree with many of the comments and disagree with none. One thing I’d add is that the damn things can lose traction even at alarmingly low speeds, particularly in damp conditions.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Just what everyone has said. SLOWLY

I totally agree with all the above comments....from my own experience.
    Really good idea to get onto a track, preferably one based on an airfield as plenty of run-off space without hard things to hit, to get a feel for the characteristics of so much torque without all the modern traction control technology. I had booked a session at Abingdon Airfield as I had only had my Cobra for 4 months or so and was wary of it's reputation. Just before then I unfortunately got caught out in a totally unexpected cloudburst close to home and ended up in a ditch/hedge before I knew what had happened. No-one hurt but damage took it beyond economic repair according to the insurance company.
    I bought it back and am getting it fixed as I absolutely love the car and can't wait to get it back on the road.........with an even healthier level of respect though and even more likely to be a fair weather user!
    Take advice from guys on this forum regarding the best tyres as that will make a huge difference according to what you want to use the car for.......I had recently fitted new Toyo Proxes so no excuse there!

Mat,

It’s all covered above, I would suggest doing a track day or 2 in it to explore just how potent these things are, you’ll struggle to use the available power on the open road for long without entering licence losing territory pretty quickly.

Oh, BTW, basing your purchase on U-Tube reviews is flawed! There are a lot more Cobs in the USA than here so skewed in that direction naturally.

Rgds
    Jim

Go speak to each of the Manufacturers!
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast