Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Repeater Indicators

Just bought a set of repeat indicators with a black wire and a white wire, would it be correct in thinking that the black wire is earth and the white wire live, its a sealed unit so its difficult to see where the wires go on the bulb.
    Black generally would be used as the earth but with so many of these items manufactured in countries where standards are few and far between its not always the case.
    Any solutions appreciated

It should not matter which way they are wired if they are normal bulbs due to not being polarity conscious.
    However if the holder is metal that could be the earth side.
    Chris.

Thanks Chris
    Yes, thats the problem, because they are a sealed unit its difficult to see the holder, i think your comment about polarity is valid, all i can do is wire them up and see what happens, at the very worst a fuse might blow.
    Thanks

I think I'd try an ohmmeter and find which wire goes to which contact.

As previously said, it doesn't matter much, but if the bulb has a center contact (for +) and an outer (-) contact, wiring traditionally might make one more satisfied with the complete job... or it might not.

I think I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive...
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Plus if you replace it with an LED type in the future, polarity could be important.

I've just fitted a pair of LED repeaters on mine.
    I assumed that the black wire was earth or ground, it wasn't!
    Like yours mine have a black and a white wire.
    Luckily they still worked after I reversed the polarity.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Just goes to show, dont take anything for granted,you would think by now that there would be an international standard for wiring colors and there applications ie black for earth,red for live and blue for neutral, but in this modern world and with so many manufactures from all parts of the globe there is no common standard, car wiring seems to be the worst with little or no instructions. i rest my case.

Some like buses, coaches and armed service vehicles used
    one colour only, usually black.
    The wiring was usually number coded but often faded or missing when needed,
    You then new where you stood !
    Chris.

Well i took off the indicator unit and connected the wires directly to a spare battery and with black on the positive the bulb lit up, with white on the positive nothing, so its sorted, you would have thought it would have been the other way round ie black to earth.

Quote Originally Posted by methoni View Post
    Well i took off the indicator unit and connected the wires directly to a spare battery and with black on the positive the bulb lit up, with white on the positive nothing, so its sorted, you would have thought it would have been the other way round ie black to earth.
    Good that it's all sorted.
    The bulb/illumination being used must either be an led or has a diode in the unit .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast