Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Definitely need a build thread so I can torture myself with envy

Chris, I presume you’ve been over to GT40s.com to seek advice?
    lots of info over there and quite a few UK owners/builders.
    A few like me have had multiple GT40 replicas (although I’ve probably had the most)
    simon
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

I'm sure it is already on the build thread,
    but if it's not, fitting air-con is not a bad idea.
    I am sure it would not be easy though !
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Chris, I presume you’ve been over to GT40s.com to seek advice?
    lots of info over there and quite a few UK owners/builders.
    A few like me have had multiple GT40 replicas (although I’ve probably had the most������)
    simon
    Thanks for that. Lots of info indeed!!!! Another forum to join. Have also joined the GT40 Enthusiasts. They meet fairly locally which is helpful. Just need to sort myself and the workshop out to make room and off we go!
    I need to learn how to post pictures properly too!

OK, I have started work on the tired GT40 and will attempt to upload some pictures. If there is blank space below, I need to try again!

This is the car, a 1989 KVA body but the chassis has been specially fabricated in stainless steel (I guess a one off)

The body has quite a lot of scrapes. Not sure yet but I will probably get a new MK1 bodyshell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

And unfortunately the rear wings were adjusted with an angle grinder!

All clouds have a silver lining though, I found the cut off bits under a load of Tesco bags in the front!!

The interior needs a bit of love! Mastic is never a good look....

She still looks the business though....

And now for the good news! The suspension looks good. Someone spent a lot of time on this. OK, so aluminium carriers would have been better but these will do just fine for now and with some attention and fettling I reckon I can get this somewhere near decent..

Inboard coils on the front

Oh, and that's a big old BMW V8 hanging in the back

Tuesday, and she is on the ramp

Wednesday and the mass of wires and that big old BMW motor is out! Anyone want a good German V8?????

One of the most useful tools I made many years ago was a set of forks to fit on the 3 point linkage of a tractor!

The tractor, by the way, is another story. This time last year I split it and had the inards of the 32 speed gearbox all over the floor!! Fortunately I had a man with me who knew what he was doing. Absolutely amazing. He knew every cog and bearing in that box and only looked in the manual once. You have to admire that level of knowledge and skill. We fixed the problem (no high range), popped in a few new cogs and a clutch and put the two halfs of tractor back together. If anyone has ever wondered how you split a tractor you do it using little rail tracks and jacks. Quite a thing to do and much easier on a flat concrete floor!!! Anyway, back to the GT40............

As well as the engine, there are masses of BMW parts on this car. I am betting these brakes are BMW too. Anyone know for sure?

Handy to have an outboard handbrake after too many years of inboard Jag discs, grazed knuckles, special spanners and access panels! (Still love the cobra though!)

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow. I have started ripping off the awful stainless panelling, cleaning up the chassis and over welding and polishing some of the suspension arms. I've also split the UN1 gearbox off the bellhousing. Oh, and what a surprise the clutch revealed! Will upload some pics tomorrow..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast