Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
    Splendid work. Absolutely worth the effort to get it right. What a great car you're going to have at the end. (There's no end...)
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Just come in for a coffee having done the right hand one too (so much easier on the second one). So feeling pleased with myself! As one of you said, worth the effort (I hope!!!!!)

Next job is to measure up for all the new tie rods and get those sorted.............
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. Just come in for a coffee having done the right hand one too (so much easier on the second one). So feeling pleased with myself! As one of you said, worth the effort (I hope!!!!!)

Next job is to measure up for all the new tie rods and get those sorted.............
    Keep going Chris, I know at times it feels like it’s relentless but it will all be worth it in the end
    Classic Replica Viper IVA passed 25th March 2021, Sold September 2021.
    TVR Chimaera restoration project in progress

Been back on my daughter's house for a few days so progress has been slowed!! Anyway, today I had a look at the rear anti-roll bar. I got the parts for the drop links from McGill Motorsport and have been really impressed with their kit. The rod ends are really good quality.

A mate gave me the billet aluminium connectors but I need to fettle them to get them to work with the 10mm rod ends as they were designed for 8mm ones. Out with the file......

And after a bit of filing............ they work

Have now ordered some stainless bolts and when the bloody tube arrives from (not so) Rapid Metals I can get the job done. Should be pretty straight forward. I am going to adapt the Westfield front roll bar in to one that will suit my GT40. That's the plan anyway!
    Attached Images Attached Images

On with the rear anti roll bar today. At last (not so) Rapid Metals delivered my steel, so I can weld up a solution

I am using a Westfield front bar as a starting point. With the McGill made up drop links it will look something like this....

Except when like this on the left, it's 200mm short on the right!!

So rather than make a whole new bar I am going to cut the Westfield bar in the middle and weld in some material of the same size. I appreciate this might fill some with horror but I have done it before successfully so .............

I took a lot of care to align the bar and used an insert in the centre to a, help align and b, to allow me to have a gap in the tube that I can fill with weld

Leaving a bit of a gap allows plenty of weld. Once welded I can smooth off the surplus and still have plenty of weld

Bit of measuring to centre everything up then it's brackets on time (see next post due to picture limit)

Continued..........brackets on

And then it will go on like this (ignore the crappy bolts, new sized and tidy stainless ones on order!)

Still got the ends of that chassis to sort where I shortened it. That will involve the supports for the body hinges too. I have a plan!

https://youtu.be/Zpzz8iQr_7g In a similar vein…….

Quote Originally Posted by rpm015 View Post
    https://youtu.be/Zpzz8iQr_7g In a similar vein…….
    Enjoyed that! Thanks, good video.

I think it sums up the ethos of what we all try to do

In case you havent seen this as well, this guy bought a completed GT40, and then tore it apart. He knows his cars, and has quite a good skills set.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Projekte36videos/videos
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.
    My Gallery: http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/3240/username/kevinw

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast