Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sunny Redditch....I lied.
    Posts
    270
    Hi Chris, well at the rate your going I expect to see it on the road in the spring lol. Great to see the picture's, keep them coming. Take it easy.
    Bob

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,343
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    As well as the engine, there are masses of BMW parts on this car. I am betting these brakes are BMW too. Anyone know for sure?


    Definitely ATE brakes, but those have been on a lot of things - Jags included.. the anti-rattle spring is on back to front, but I'm assuming that's because you're part way through disassembly here There's something off about the way the caliper is sitting, too, like it's missing or unbolted at the top most slide pin?

    IIRC they are an unusual thread, incidentally. M9 maybe, or M7. I had to buy a tap to clean a set up once, I remember that much!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Definitely ATE brakes, but those have been on a lot of things - Jags included.. the anti-rattle spring is on back to front, but I'm assuming that's because you're part way through disassembly here There's something off about the way the caliper is sitting, too, like it's missing or unbolted at the top most slide pin?

    IIRC they are an unusual thread, incidentally. M9 maybe, or M7. I had to buy a tap to clean a set up once, I remember that much!
    I think I had already half dismantled it when I took the pic!!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,343
    That would explain it
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    305
    Onward then.........So here is a pic of the UN1 gearbox which was mounted quite cleverly to an adaptor and then to the BMW's bellhousing. The shaft appears to have been upgraded to a big spline. It wobbles though, even when the adaptor plate is secured. I know little about these gearboxes but I do have another one and that shaft is solid! Something to look in to. Maybe another bearing to carry it. It seems odd to rely on the crank bush to hold the input shaft steady. Anyway, I'm not yet sure what I am going to do. Good news though is that it is the 3.44 ratio diff which I am reliably informed is the best one to have!

    And the bellhousing

    This allowed the UN1 to fit up to the BMW engine

    Now for the funny bit. When I took the clutch out I could see the printing on the drive plate as I removed it. New clutch I thought, but look at this....



    Centre spline welded in to accommodate the bigger input shaft! Don't think I will be using this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    305
    So on to today's work......
    There was some pretty nasty welding on the suspension components. Shame, as they are well made and appear to be a good design. I forgot to say that I checked the car dimensionally before I started messing with it and it was good. Needed to tidy up the components though. Started with a set like this..


    And eventually got to this which is much tidier. Not sure whether I can be bothered to polish it all up any further but I have ordered a new kit to give it a go.



    They certainly look a lot better. Not as good as a lovely tigged up job but will definitely do for now. I am planning to get this car 80% (to my!) standard, get it on the road and then gradually improve it. I am trying to use as many parts as I can to keep the cost down and to frankly avoid waste. It won't look top drawer 'out of the box' but I can always improve it later, tig up suspension, change the hub carriers for aluminium etc. As we all know, there is no end to what you can do or spend!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford Essex
    Posts
    1,393
    Doing a fine job of cleaning those suspension welded parts up. Smoothed out welds look good or nice pooled tig welding can look like art work when done by skilful welder.
    I think I would look at replacing those drums for discs as I would want to make sure I have good stopping power with V8 power.
    You certainly making good progress. Like the posts and photos.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Doing a fine job of cleaning those suspension welded parts up. Smoothed out welds look good or nice pooled tig welding can look like art work when done by skilful welder.
    I think I would look at replacing those drums for discs as I would want to make sure I have good stopping power with V8 power.
    You certainly making good progress. Like the posts and photos.
    Thanks Jon. Agree on the brakes. They are discs though, that’s the handbrake with the shoes which run on the inside of the disc (already removed in the pic).
    It will never be a show winner but I hope to make it a decent car. Bit of a head scratcher though. Although the chassis and suspension is well designed there was no thought given to how the panels or body fitted. Particularly in the bulkhead and behind the front wheels. I am having to overcome that! Nothing in the same plane. Means I might have to weld up ally panels to make a decent job of it. Thinking about it now! Needs to be watertight too. Enjoying it though. Sure is making me think!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    4,057
    A word of advice if you’re interested.....make the interior as comfortable as possible (sound proofing, nice carpet etc) the GT40 is obviously first and foremost a race car and the deafening noise, heat and rain ingress ( added to the tiny windowflaps) means it very quickly gets ard work and tiresome to drive on the road.Add these things as you’re rebuilding it, you’ll thank me later.....
    having owned examples of these, the quiet, more refined cars were used much more than the loud, laity ones.
    simon
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    A word of advice if you’re interested.....make the interior as comfortable as possible (sound proofing, nice carpet etc) the GT40 is obviously first and foremost a race car and the deafening noise, heat and rain ingress ( added to the tiny windowflaps) means it very quickly gets ard work and tiresome to drive on the road.Add these things as you’re rebuilding it, you’ll thank me later.....
    having owned examples of these, the quiet, more refined cars were used much more than the loud, laity ones.
    simon
    All advice and experience very welcome! That makes total sense. I have to make a decent job of the inside as the wife is telling me it should be something she can drive! (Not like my cobra!!). She has already chosen red leather! Eek!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •