Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 347
  1. #331
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford Essex
    Posts
    1,867
    Those were my best Sundays searching for bits. The tower of cars have long gone and most bits are on a shelf . Ebay now seems to be there price guide for parts. Where it use to be a quick haggle and you walked away smiling .

  2. #332
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    900
    Don't start me on the old school scrapyards! Formative years for me, with my Dad when he raced Stock Cars, we virtually lived in them!

    Back to the GT40. Martin brought the new rear wishbones up today and we have been fettling and fiddling all day!!!! The original issue was that my chassis wheelbase was too long for the Tornado body and we had come up with a cunning plan which involved redesigning and fabricating some new wishbones with rose joints to allow us to move the suspension forward and centre the rear wheels in the arches.

    We eventually got there! It was quite a fiddle. As we all know, when you go off piste a bit there are always consequences!!!!! We struggled initially to get clearance on the chassis for the new wishbones and then to get the hub carrier to sit right in the alignment we wanted. But eventually we got it there. Camber and Toe all sorted. We did have to adjust the hub carrier a bit and I still need to remake the lower tie rod mounting on to the hub carrier but I will do that when I disassemble everything for painting. It all works, that's the main thing!


    New wishbone installed, driveshaft seems Ok



    And below, we have a wheel in the centre of the arch!! Sorted!



    The other thing I have been fiddling with today (before Martin arrived) are the filler caps. Got these beauties from Tornado. They fit the body (or the body is designed for them)





    I cut out some 2mm stainless with a plasma cutter to make the fixing plate and to weld in the filler pipe to go down to the tank. I want to keep the flexible bit as short as possible

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

  3. #333
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    900
    Talking of my dad earlier reminded me of how I discovered how to accurately find the centre of a circle. I was about 13 or 14 and he sent me to school with strict instructions to ask my math teacher how to do it so we could accurately fabricate a bellhousing for the race car!! (We used to make wheels too but that's another story!) We were mating a Jaguar box to a Ford V8. I have never forgotten - '3 perpendicular bisectors' she said, 'although 2 will probably do it'. Still use that method and here is a pic of me doing just that for the filler pipe flanges!!!



    Bless him. He taught me so much, a lot of which I have passed on to my lad. Probably the most important thing though was 'have a go'. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's always fun to try and even better if it works. Some of the things we did still make me smile.

    Just need to get the angle of the stainless filler pipe sorted and then I can cut out the elliptical hole and weld up the units. Plan is to run 50mm stainless down to the tank necks which are also in 50mm stainless. I will join with a short piece of flex (which I bought yesterday at Stoneleigh for £9). I want to avoid bends so I don't get any blow back. I will also weld on a tab I can connect an earth to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

  4. #334
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    453
    Well, you just taught me. In Thailand, 2004, the dive boat belonging to the dive school I was with was damaged whilst escaping the Boxing Day tsunami thanks to our heroic captain who saw the wave coming and steered the boat into and over the waves.
    Consequently, a new prop was required and I found myself at a backstreet engineering shop somewher in Krabi province (much like our UK types), listening to the guys discussing the job in Thai language. I watched the engineer guy get busy with a pair of spring dividers, but I left somewhat mystified about what he had gleaned from these measurements.
    I think I learned today, what the guy was doing. I tried it myself on paper - damn! It's so logical! Thanks Chris, for the lesson!


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Talking of my dad earlier reminded me of how I discovered how to accurately find the centre of a circle. I was about 13 or 14 and he sent me to school with strict instructions to ask my math teacher how to do it so we could accurately fabricate a bellhousing for the race car!! (We used to make wheels too but that's another story!) We were mating a Jaguar box to a Ford V8. I have never forgotten - '3 perpendicular bisectors' she said, 'although 2 will probably do it'. Still use that method and here is a pic of me doing just that for the filler pipe flanges!!!



    Bless him. He taught me so much, a lot of which I have passed on to my lad. Probably the most important thing though was 'have a go'. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's always fun to try and even better if it works. Some of the things we did still make me smile.

    Just need to get the angle of the stainless filler pipe sorted and then I can cut out the elliptical hole and weld up the units. Plan is to run 50mm stainless down to the tank necks which are also in 50mm stainless. I will join with a short piece of flex (which I bought yesterday at Stoneleigh for £9). I want to avoid bends so I don't get any blow back. I will also weld on a tab I can connect an earth to.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

  5. #335
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    900
    Been in the Peak District for a week so no progress on the car sadly! However, between fiddling with bees today, I have tried my new 'Easycoat' powdercoater that I bought at Stoneleigh. Absolutely amazing! So impressed with the finish. It's not perfect (due to me not the kit) but here are some pics of one of the new wishbones Martin made for me for the rear suspension. Top job!





    I really am impressed. I've seen the kits before at shows and done the usual 'it won't work like that when you get it home' but while I was there looking a guy came up beside me and ordered some parts for his gun. I asked him how he got on with it and he told me it was the best thing he had ever bought and he had used one for 10 years! So I gave them £120 and brought one back! Now I will be powdercoating all the brackets I have made for this car (which are numerous!). About 20 mins in the wife's oven while she was out this afternoon did the job. Hopefully it wasn't beginners luck! Apparently it is possible to do long items with a heat gun, we will see.

    Ragley Hall tomorrow in the cobra (weather hopefully holding) but it might be powdercoating Monday! I have some Gold powder to try at some point but plenty of black to do before cleaning the gun I think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

  6. #336
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,058
    I've eyed those kits before - but I think I'd be buried under the patio if I used the oven in the kitchen! :Lol:

  7. #337
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,509
    Did you make the wishbones from steel, stainless steel or chromoly steel??

  8. #338
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Did you make the wishbones from steel, stainless steel or chromoly steel??
    They are seamless steel tube, 1 inch outside diameter. I've used it for the tie rods too and for the front anti-roll bar. I bought a 6m length which turned out perfect!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

  9. #339
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,509
    I don't want to undermine the great work you are doing but I've heard that under stress or extremes steel shears and snaps but chromoloy steel bends.

    I'm not a metallurgist but just concerned, with the constant stresses on the suspension could it be avoided at this stage??

    someone may come along and know better??

    Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

    cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

  10. #340
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    I don't want to undermine the great work you are doing but I've heard that under stress or extremes steel shears and snaps but chromoloy steel bends.

    I'm not a metallurgist but just concerned, with the constant stresses on the suspension could it be avoided at this stage??

    someone may come along and know better??

    Lee
    Well you never know!! No, I am happy it will be fine. Seamless tube is widely used and probably on a lot of kit car manufacturers cars too!

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •