Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    [QUOTE=simon;602103]The Centre spider and sills are the same. Mounting points for the clips MAY be different as the MK3 is longer.
    While you’ve got it stripped, put in a dropped floor pan with a ramp at the front, you’ll thank me later.....

Can I explore the floor a bit with you? At the moment the car has a flat piece of stainless welded underneath the entire car except the engine bay. In other words the bottom is totally smooth, the sheet being welded under the chassis rails.

I maybe should have checked ground clearance more but the wheels were all wrong. However, the car was sitting very low.

If I understand you right, you are saying to drop the seats below the chassis/floor level to gain a bit of headroom and effectively box around with a slope at the front for the sleeping policemen?

Sounds like you had a car like this??

I am going for a T top so will get a bit of room that way. Don't want to be looking through the top line of the spider though!!!! I'm 5' 11'' btw
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Kuga
    Actually, if you look earlier on this thread you can see the body quite well. It is repairable, especially by someone who knows their way around fibreglass and bodywork (Like many on this forum). I do have the two slices of the rear arches so they could be bonded back on!
    Thanks. I have sent him the photos.
    Any idea how much you want for it?
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    Thanks. I have sent him the photos.
    Any idea how much you want for it?
    He can make me an offer. Probably best to see it first

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    He can make me an offer. Probably best to see it first
    Ok I will let him know. Both he and I are fairly local to you so if he is interested a visit post lockdown may be good to do!
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

[QUOTE=ChrisP;602114]
    Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    The Centre spider and sills are the same. Mounting points for the clips MAY be different as the MK3 is longer.
    While you’ve got it stripped, put in a dropped floor pan with a ramp at the front, you’ll thank me later.....

Can I explore the floor a bit with you? At the moment the car has a flat piece of stainless welded underneath the entire car except the engine bay. In other words the bottom is totally smooth, the sheet being welded under the chassis rails.

I maybe should have checked ground clearance more but the wheels were all wrong. However, the car was sitting very low.

If I understand you right, you are saying to drop the seats below the chassis/floor level to gain a bit of headroom and effectively box around with a slope at the front for the sleeping policemen?

Sounds like you had a car like this??

I am going for a T top so will get a bit of room that way. Don't want to be looking through the top line of the spider though!!!! I'm 5' 11'' btw
    yes, I’ve had at least 16 GT40’s in the past 20 years.
    pm me with an email address and I’ll send some pics of the floors I put in my GTD.
    Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by simon; 17-11-20 at 09:19 PM.
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

So do you get bored with them after a summer or 2, or do you have a fleet of them parked in different summer villas?????!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

No pics to upload but I have been making progress of sorts. I have today ordered the complete MK1 body from Tornado. So I know what I am doing now! I have also spoken to the UN1 Transaxle expert and had a good look at the two gearboxes I have. Sounds like I can make at least one good one from the two, depending on what he finds when he dismantles them. And I am going to go for an LSD I think. It's another grand but hey, better than a load of bodywork or a new rear wheel after a spin!!
    I need to get the panelling finished. It's tedious but I am getting there and my aluminium welding is improving slowly.
    Soon I need to start thinking about the engine. It's a 68 302 in fairly standard trim. I am thinking I will go for a top end kit and get it up near 370hp or thereabouts. I am not intending to stroke it and hope to reuse the bottom end and pistons as they are, probably just with new shells but until I finish the strip I don't know. The one cap I have taken off revealed a new shell anyway!

Nice seeing your making great progress. A stroked 302 to 347 will give you lots more. Nice to drop a set of Quad 48 IDA Weber carbs if its in budget but be careful with your cam selection. Going to a stroker you need different cam over lap profile. Better heads first off if they are standard and you will be banging 450 bhp !
    To make it driverable on the road and not for the track your better off with a lower torque band. You don't want a screamer with all the power band around 4,000 rpm. Other wise it will be drinking fuel low tens !
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Nice seeing your making great progress. A stroked 302 to 347 will give you lots more. Nice to drop a set of Quad 48 IDA Weber carbs if its in budget but be careful with your cam selection. Going to a stroker you need different cam over lap profile. Better heads first off if they are standard and you will be banging 450 bhp !
    To make it driverable on the road and not for the track your better off with a lower torque band. You don't want a screamer with all the power band around 4,000 rpm. Other wise it will be drinking fuel low tens !
    I think it’s going to be an Edlebrock top end kit only for now, topped off with a carb! I can always do more in the future. Much easier to get the engine out of a 40 than a cobra! I’m not sure another £3 or 4K is possible at the moment!!!!

Well I think it's an improvement! The ally panels are welded in to one piece. I've then polished out the welds and the sheets generally using polishing attachments on the grinder. Takes a bit of time but what else is there to do in lockdown. Same on the suspension components. I can also polish the back of the panels so the engine side looks as good. I am working on the off side front and rear corners now, then I'll start on the cockpit. I need to work out the best way to run all the pipes and wires back through the car. I can see that most run them up the centre but I might run them alongside the tanks in the sidepods and through the cockpit panels in the footwells. Having the water pipes in the sidepods might help with heat management in the cockpit. I am definitely going to insulate as best I can both for noise and heat.

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456