Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thought I'd say Hi

Just picked up a part started Sumo build, took it back to components, cleaned painted and new suspension on it way, Ford 302 being rebuilt to go with a T5 box.

Enjoy the build more than the completion sometimes

20200809_141003_small.jpg

Should go quite well with my other kit car

20200525_115016_small.jpg

Looks like a Mk2?
    Nice Stratos.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Yes, it is a mk2, Granada diff and rear suspension, cortina uprights with granny hubs up front.

The Mk3 had additional triangulation on most of the corner joints and some additional bracing underneath and at the front. Have a look here: How to build a Sumo With a 302 engine you really need that additional strength.

I don't know if they still offer the service but at one stage Pilgrim would add the additional strengthening to a Mk2 chassis if you could transport it to them (for a fee of course)

Quote Originally Posted by dgosumo View Post
    The Mk3 had additional triangulation on most of the corner joints and some additional bracing underneath and at the front. Have a look here: How to build a Sumo With a 302 engine you really need that additional strength.

I don't know if they still offer the service but at one stage Pilgrim would add the additional strengthening to a Mk2 chassis if you could transport it to them (for a fee of course)
    or, as you are in Scotland, if you are handy with a welder, they might supply the bits.
    Its well-worth having done - the handling on my old early MkIII was abs terrible - transformed the car when these were added.
    Alternatively its easy to find pics on the web illustrating the triangulation that can be added yourself.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Thanks, I can weld, but couldn't see much difference in the triangulation, will have another look at what they added, thanks

There is a diagonal brace in each footwell, a diagonal brace underneath the trans tunnel, a V-shaped brace between the front upper chassis member (where the upper rad fixing brackets go) and the lower chassis front member, and an additional 2 diagonal braces aboved the trailing arms at the rear. I think that covers it.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

I think the fitting of the Granada "wing" (from which the arms hang) provides a great deal of strength for the rear of the Mk 2
    Cobra not quite as shiny as my head

Thanks Kevin, will contact Pilgrim tomorrow to see if they have th pre cut parts

That looks like a fun MK2 project!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast