Valvoline VR1 Racing oil

Got a great deal on this oil today. £31.99 from Pipercross on EBay. Then noticed the location was Northampton my hometown so called then and got 2 x 5L for £49.99.
    The engine capacity is 5-6 quarts I believe depending on sump type. As this is a new vehicle to me with an after market dip stick any advice on how much to put in?
    Also it’s now done 1100 miles and had an oil change at 500. Should I add any additional zinc additive? I thought Valvoline contained 12% zinc.
    Oil filter? Still a big downer on Fram?
    Thanks.
    Dek
    Last edited by Dek; 27-08-20 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Addition

That's a result Dek,

Like you say the oil pan tye makes a big difference on capacity on what you have fitted. The oil filter can suck up a lot and I always fill the filter before fitting even if you get over spill, as you don't want to turn the engine over dry and no pressure at first start up.
    It does have good zinc level so I don't think you need to add any.
    The Fram oil filters used to be better I am sure but after seeing a number of reviews I no long get Fram. I go for Gold K&N or if you can get the WIX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Ap-F4xals.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    That's a result Dek,

Like you say the oil pan tye makes a big difference on capacity on what you have fitted. The oil filter can suck up a lot and I always fill the filter before fitting even if you get over spill, as you don't want to turn the engine over dry and no pressure at first start up.
    It does have good zinc level so I don't think you need to add any.
    The Fram oil filters used to be better I am sure but after seeing a number of reviews I no long get Fram. I go for Gold K&N or if you can get the WIX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Ap-F4xals.
    Thanks for that Jon. I spoke to my local USA importer today and he said the filters for SBC range from £4 to £15 but he wouldn’t agree the more expensive are better. He mentioned a lot of names I’ve never heard of then complicated things by saying these lesser known brands are made by the same manufacturer as the better known ones. Also spoke to the engine builder who recommended Mann, Bosch among others but couldn’t say any were better than others they use. I guess things got more complicated when cheap “genuine” branded names emerged from China. Having watched your video link I then watched the follow on one which compared about 13 filters and realised there is a lot more than just filtration like by pass valves and anti drain valves (rubber vs silicone). All these are just subjective and unfortunately there is not much scientific information on the important bit of filtration. Some use cardboard, some use a cotton type material of different surface areas and some like Wix integrate that with metal mesh. I guess the answer is to go with a good quality like Wix or K&N and change frequently and avoid anything that can be Chinese copied....if we could only know what brands they are!
    Dek

I change mine every year with oil. For the cost its peace of mind and you know you have fresh oil. I did see a discussion about when to change your oil if you put it away for storage. They say it is better for the engine to sit with clean oil so change the oil at the start of storage so the crank is siting in fresh oil I guess. So I do mine now before winter and not in spring.

I sourced my last filters from Eurocarpasts ! if you have the K&N number also try Carparts4less as they are the same company but its lot cheaper. I usually find the product code on Eurocarparts and then paste it into the search at Carparts4 less.
    e.g.

HP2002 https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/508772051
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

Attachment 38917Attachment 38918
    I change mine every year with oil. For the cost its peace of mind and you know you have fresh oil. I did see a discussion about when to change your oil if you put it away for storage. They say it is better for the engine to sit with clean oil so change the oil at the start of storage so the crank is siting in fresh oil I guess. So I do mine now before winter and not in spring.

I sourced my last filters from Eurocarpasts ! if you have the K&N number also try Carparts4less as they are the same company but its lot cheaper. I usually find the product code on Eurocarparts and then paste it into the search at Carparts4 less.
    e.g.

HP2002 https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/508772051
    Thanks for your recommendation and part number Jon. Phoned a local USA parts supplier and got the last K&N filter. Got the Cobra up on ramps and the existing filter was a right pig to get off. Had to resort to chiselling and even then it was reluctant to shift. I think it had been over tightened with no lube put on the rubber seal. At least it won’t be a problem with the K&N filter which has a 1 inch nut, as you know, on the base. All filters should be made like this but then you’ll get some idiots tightening it up with a breaker bar!
    Dek

Lube up the rubber ring hand tight and a 1/4 turn is all that is needed. I have found some filters well over tight. I have a rubber band strap with handle which gets them loose.

Lube up the rubber ring hand tight and a 1/4 turn is all that is needed. I have found some filters well over tight. I have a rubber band strap with handle which gets them loose.
    I never have a problem getting filters off that I’ve fitted in the past because I know the importance of lubing the seal and the importance of not over tightening. I have one of those rubber straps which normally does the trick but there was no way it was coming off with this. It took quite a bit of hammering before it even moved a fraction. The seal was well stuck!
    Dek