Some Cobra content but more aircraft related

Some may remember a thread (see link below) that I posted a few years ago, just over seven to be more precise, about a rather special GD Euro that was owned by my nephew Anthony (Tony) Ayre who, at that time, was in the RAF and serving as an aircrew technician on the Sentry E3 AWACs aircraft flying out of RAF Waddington.

Anthony sadly died the following year as a result of a RTA whilst riding his Yamaha YZF750 motorbike. Only a few weeks before his death he had entered his first aerobatics competition, organized by the RAF Flying Clubs Association (RAFFCA), and won it flying a Pitts S2A aircraft. At the time he was building his own Pitts aircraft from a "kit" and the project was gifted to the RAFFCA by his mother Joan Drinkel, my sister, for them to complete. The journey from the formation of the charity, the Ayre to Air CIO, to the completion of the build and the test flights has been interesting and rather eventful - as any one who has built a kit car would recognize - and it is with some relief that the Pitts S2AE aircraft, now called The Spirit of Ayre, is starting to earn its keep giving the opportunity for aerobatic flight experience to young service personnel.

If you are interested to see the completed aircraft and to learn more of the story I have attached links below

Take care,
    Ian

CC Forum Thread:
    http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49356

A brief history:

https://highflyersonline.com/a-very-...pitts-special/

Last edited by Ian C; 28-08-20 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typo
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Thank you Ian for the follow up from someone who has an equal interest in both cars and planes and what a wonderful legacy to your nephew! Putting a Cobra through IVA is not exactly a walk in the park but to build a Pitts with all those associated G forces and get it certified is on a different level. And your nephew must have been quite a guy too for transitioning from aircrew technician to aerobatic pilot. Well done him! Well done all involved in getting the plane to completion.
    Dek

Dek,

There were, are, some very talented people who helped to fulfill the dream and complete the aircraft - I kept drawing analogies to the "kit car scene", which did not go down well with some in the "flying" brigade when I compared the LAA inspection & flight test programme to the IVA.

The Pitts, G-PULR, will be flying in its first competition this weekend at Leicester airfield (see link below) and I am hoping to go down to watch a practice session at Tollerton later this week with Anthony's Mother (my sister) & Daniel.

Thank you for your kind comments,

Ian

https://www.aerobatics.org.uk/contest/view/184
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Ian, I bet your sister will be justifiably proud of her son’s legacy. Hope you get a good result in the competition.
    Dek