Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ear plugs make the driving experiance a lot more enjoyable and less stressful due to all the tyre noise and wind noise. Without them you feel knackered after a drive. A four hour drive is fine with ear plugs but without them you know you have been driving and feels like 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Makes hell of a difference. I have under-slung so it must be a lot worse from sidepipes.
    Never had whine on my PL LSD but doing a swap as I notice some back lash and the pinion needs adjustment so easier to drop out and get it adjusted plus over hauling the brakes and suspension. Not bad for 28 years.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Out of interest how do you run your underslung? What silencers/bends/ground clearance?

My pipes go straight through to rear with only rear silencers fitted. The silencers were fabricated by exhaust manufacturers. The silencers sit next to custom made fuel tank and exit pipes to the sides. I don't know if the fuel tank is narrower than the standard Dax fuel tank which allows for this space. Most under slungs I have seen seen run under the fuel tank and down the middle.

The fuel tank is heat insulated so I don't have any ground clearance problems. My lowest point is the front sump covered by one of Charlies stainless steel sump guards then the next lowers point is the gear box bell housing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I see no reason why a long tube and a can of foam would not work, providing you can get access. Is it really worth the bother? All that V8 noise going on, it’s not as if it will allow you to listen to the radio!!!!
    It wouldn’t help me. After a lifetime around big V8s I am now the proud owner of Phonak Hearing aids!!!
    The only reason I should do it is because it resonates just behind my ears which seems to be the only part of me still working! If it was the diff I wouldn’t hear it as it’s further away.
    Dek

Am I missing something. We spend upwards of 40k to 50k building these cars with some engine and gearbox packages costing around 15k to 20k

Yet a circa £500 expenditure to recondition the one significant Mechanical part, that transfers the power to the road Is ok to just rattle can and bolt in for some builders and manufacturers.

surely it’s easier to do it right first time than go through the grief to pull it all out and get it rebuilt down the line.

Totally agree with having the IRS rebuilt and de-rated by a reputable builder will give you peace of mind but in the grand of schemes the cost is a small portion of the over all build cost.

Having new seals and bearings will last for your ownership with the amount of miles we all tend to do.

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post
    Am I missing something. We spend upwards of 40k to 50k building these cars with some engine and gearbox packages costing around 15k to 20k

Yet a circa £500 expenditure to recondition the one significant Mechanical part, that transfers the power to the road Is ok to just rattle can and bolt in for some builders and manufacturers.

surely it’s easier to do it right first time than go through the grief to pull it all out and get it rebuilt down the line.
    That is so true! Well said.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Totally agree .......
    Having new seals and bearings will last for your ownership with the amount of miles we all tend to do.
    How many have had problems with the older style XJS rear diff (not xj40 type) that requires a fool rebuild ?
    I've never had any real issues- Nip up the pinion on a couple and like jom1d new seals and perhaps discs and pads where needed.
    Imagine that auld donor XJS with the fully rebuilt rear end ended up for spares after a front end accident.......OK it ONLY had new discs/pads fitted which indicated it was looked after.

Buy hey....why spoil the ship for a ha'penny-worth of tar....£££££

Donor car parts NEVER - buy cheap- buy twice some might say.
    unless you find a decent low mileage MOT failed Jag on rust issues.

Horses for courses.

Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    How many have had problems with the older style XJS rear diff (not xj40 type) that requires a fool rebuild ?
    Probably best not to go for a fool rebuild......sorry, couldn't resist it....
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Probably best not to go for a fool rebuild......sorry, couldn't resist it....
    The chap who rebuilt mine was rather sensible but it seems OK anyway.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast