Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sampled the diff oil today and it was black! Considering the car has only done 1100 miles I shouldn’t think fresh oil was even put in the “refurbed” diff as part of the Dax rolling package. It’s got outboard discs so that’s an XJ40 diff? How do I find the ratio? Also it’s got a finned cover plate with no drain plug. Is that standard Jag? Thanks.
    Dek

Drain plug should be on the very bottom casing Dek, rather than the back case.. fill plug is about 1/3rd up the finned cover and yes, finned cover was standard on the XJ40. Is the chassis DeDion? If so XJ40 is standard fitment.

IIRC the ratio is stamped on a little metal tag which will almost certainly be missing by now, so the only other way is to count the number of turns in & out or pop the back cover off for a look at the crown wheel (which will have the number etched on it, if memory serves).

[edit] Oh, popping the cover off sounds easy but it is also held on by the pivot bolts if memory serves, and if those haven't ever been out they will be f*cking tight.. I couldn't get mine out on the bench, I left it for Russell to do! You might have more luck on the car as the diff won't be wobbling around..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Drain plug should be on the very bottom casing Dek, rather than the back case.. fill plug is about 1/3rd up the finned cover and yes, finned cover was standard on the XJ40. Is the chassis DeDion? If so XJ40 is standard fitment.

IIRC the ratio is stamped on a little metal tag which will almost certainly be missing by now, so the only other way is to count the number of turns in & out or pop the back cover off for a look at the crown wheel (which will have the number etched on it, if memory serves).

[edit] Oh, popping the cover off sounds easy but it is also held on by the pivot bolts if memory serves, and if those haven't ever been out they will be f*cking tight.. I couldn't get mine out on the bench, I left it for Russell to do! You might have more luck on the car as the diff won't be wobbling around..
    Thanks Aaron buggered if I can see it but will have a closer look when I’m next under it. This I’ll use the count method if I don’t get the diff refurbed.
    Dek

I have this vague recollection that maybe the drain plug got removed at a certain point.. but.. it's a very vague recollection!
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I have this vague recollection that maybe the drain plug got removed at a certain point.. but.. it's a very vague recollection!
    Probably when “sealed for life” became the “in” thing!
    Dek

Ah yes .. like the gearbox on the Range Rover! Lies, all lies. There's definitely a drain plug on mine though with a square (male) head - I know because it leaks
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    It’s got outboard discs so that’s an XJ40 diff? How do I find the ratio? .
    Dek
    Probably but not always.......Late model facelift Jagauar 93-95 quite rare.
    Same as fitted to my DB7
    Older style diff with later outboard brakes.....

Ratio........pull the cover and look for the crownwheel stampings or count the revolutions In v Out.

Now......my axle ONLY needed new discs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123