Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dax rolling chassis-diff.

Back in the day a rolling chassis could be bought from JK Sportscars I believe. Does anyone know if this included the diff? My information is that it did include a refurbished diff. If that was the case does anyone know to what extent it was refurbished? Was it taken apart and tolerances checked etc or was it more superficial? Thanks to anyone who could shed light on this.
    Dek

I recall it was a visual inspection to make sure the inner crown and pinion wheel looked ok and no leaks. I don't think it was de-rated in the early days 90's.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    I recall it was a visual inspection to make sure the inner crown and pinion wheel looked ok and no leaks. I don't think it was de-rated in the early days 90's.
    Thanks Jon. So it could have come from a 50k or a 150k mileage donor and it was the luck of the draw what you got?
    Dek

Yes I think your spot on. The good thing is most have an easy life in a jaguar and they are bullet proof.

I bought a DAX rolling chassis in 1995. I upped the spec from the 'standard' to a 2.88 Powerlock. The same diff (untouched since) is still in the car 25 years later.
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Yes I think your spot on. The good thing is most have an easy life in a jaguar and they are bullet proof.
    The diff on my cob is just a standard jag 3.3:1 that I fitted over twenty five years ago,
    no problems with leaks, whining or excess backlash.
    Mind you I've only done just over 10 k miles !
    It was also worth filling the roll bar with expanding foam to reduce noise from the inboard disks and the diff.
    I had had several test drives in different cobs and was suprised how many had a diff whine even after full overhaul.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    The diff on my cob is just a standard jag 3.3:1 that I fitted over twenty five years ago,
    It was also worth filling the roll bar with expanding foam to reduce noise from the inboard disks and the diff.
    I had had several test drives in different cobs and was suprised how many had a diff whine even after full overhaul.
    Chris
    The diff in mine was taken out of a new Jag because it whined. It's been in my cobra for 34 years! It still whines but that is helped by the whine of the big holley fuel pump and then further diminished by the 427's sidepipes!!! By the time I have put my ear defenders on, it doesn't whine at all!!!!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    The diff in mine was taken out of a new Jag because it whined. It's been in my cobra for 34 years! It still whines but that is helped by the whine of the big holley fuel pump and then further diminished by the 427's sidepipes!!! By the time I have put my ear defenders on, it doesn't whine at all!!!!
    Thank god for side pipes! Drown out all those rattles and whines!
    Dek.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    Chris
    Thanks Chris. I think a lot of the time it’s difficult to know if it’s diff whine or resonance through the roll bar. Been meaning to foam fill mine for years now but too lazy to take the roll bar off. Wondering if I attach a long tube to the foam spout if it would work. Could also use foam pipe lagging I suppose.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Thanks Chris. I think a lot of the time it’s difficult to know if it’s diff whine or resonance through the roll bar. Been meaning to foam fill mine for years now but too lazy to take the roll bar off. Wondering if I attach a long tube to the foam spout if it would work. Could also use foam pipe lagging I suppose.
    Dek
    I see no reason why a long tube and a can of foam would not work, providing you can get access. Is it really worth the bother? All that V8 noise going on, it’s not as if it will allow you to listen to the radio!!!!
    It wouldn’t help me. After a lifetime around big V8s I am now the proud owner of Phonak Hearing aids!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast