Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Always difficult to describe a noise but this has developed into not so much a clunk but a banging now. The fact it is quite continuous suggests it is a rotational cause. I don’t think a diff would make that loud noise as it would be dampened by the oil. I’m erring towards the outboard UJ although I couldn’t feel any play when it was jacked up under the chassis with the hubs hanging. Perhaps I should jack it under the hub and get the driveshaft in the normal position? Funny thing is this all became apparent when I put the car on stands under the chassis to have a look at the speedo sensor lugs fitted onto the prop UJ bolts. One was missing. When I lowered it and trundled up the drive I noticed it then. Generally when a new problem occurs after you’ve been messing its due to what you’ve been messing with. Everything around the prop and prop UJ seems clear but I wonder if the act of jacking up under the chassis leaving the hubs hanging has disturbed the drive shaft UJ? Mmmmmm.

Its best to jack up the hubs not the chassis so that the driveline is in it's normal orientation / loading.
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Just a thought: if you peruse the E-type forums you'll see comments on this (back axle is same as XJs, bar the wire wheel hubs). Knocking has been attributed to not locktiting the driveshaft splines onto the hubs.

Some of our cars with XJ6 axles are loctited, some are not. I guess the amount of clonk is due to spline wear, but that's just a guess.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Update time. Couldn’t do much more without getting the car high up on a ramp so Vince Gibbs kindly offered to collect it and take it back to his workshop in Chacombe near Banbury. The car has an ETB electronic speedo which because the magnets kept coming off the builder placed 3 metal tags under the prop bolts. These have to be about the thickness of a 2p coin away from the sensor, so quite critical. Turns out one of them was catching on the chassis which didn’t seem to be the case when the car was jacked up and the wheels rotated but with the car higher in the air the cause was more apparent. Whilst it was up on the ramp Vince took the diff cover plate off to inspect the diff and that looked fine although the oil on the Dax “refurbed” diff looked black. Cover plate replaced and fresh oil put in. I thought it was running rich so asked Vince to check that out and sure enough the plugs were heavily sooted. This was due to the timing being 12 degrees retarded. The previous owner said it drank fuel. No wonder, most of it wasn’t being burnt! Finally Vince tracked the cause of the fuel gauge not working to a poor connection in a connector block. All in all a big thumbs up for Vince who works very methodically and treats customer’s cars with the utmost respect. He’s also done a lot of work on Paul’s (psh) car all to his satisfaction. Always good to praise good work. Here is a link: https://m.facebook.com/vincegibbsclassiccars/
    Dek

Very pleased for you Dek.

Quote Originally Posted by minesamalt View Post
    Very pleased for you Dek.
    Thanks Roger. Running much better now! All cleaned and polished ready for Pistons and Props tomorrow.
    Dek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12