Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSD Atomic EFI

MSD Atomic EFI

Hi Guys,

Its been a while and haven't driven her for two years for a lot of different reasons! Hoping to get the work done to her over the winter so that she can be on the road again next year.

Anyway, looking at building another kit (the Tornado BT40) and that got me thinking about engines and that led to retrofit EFI like the FiTech, Edelbrock and MSD Atomic kits.

351W bored and stroked up to 394 producing 450bhp at the wheels. Edelbrock performer intake manifold with a 750cfm Holley Carb on top. I can't remember what cam is in it but it is a lot less radical than the first one I put in! I've never been completely happy with the set up with the carb and have had various people look at it and tune it - hot starting issues, backward running on stopping etc.

I've got MSD 6AL ignition on her so am quite tempted by the MSD kit for consistency and the fact that they can work together for more efficiency and power. I'd like to use the single line kit if at all possible as the plumbing would be a PITA.

What do people think to that system.

Any help / thoughts much appreciated.

Jon

PS where have people put the O2 sensor.
    www.sounds-legal.com - some have said we\'re mad!!!

This guy gives a lot of detail and advice on the MSD Atomic kit. Add to your costs U.K. import tax and postage which adds to the cost and exchange rate.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_BzLEVXmnA

He just bolted straight and you don't need to change your inlet manifold. Other kits need the impeller to be modified.
    Single fuel line in the kit is a bonus as no second fuel line return required.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Hi

I bought some parts of a guy recently who did exactly this
    Dax 351W with 400 bhp and changed carb To an edlebrock system that’s x8 injectors manifold swap, self calibrates, phone app, went for a drive simply superb, no glitches, no messing around with the sniper stuff. He fitted it in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    This guy gives a lot of detail and advice on the MSD Atomic kit. Add to your costs U.K. import tax and postage which adds to the cost and exchange rate.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_BzLEVXmnA

He just bolted straight and you don't need to change your inlet manifold. Other kits need the impeller to be modified.
    Single fuel line in the kit is a bonus as no second fuel line return required.
    or direct in the UK:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atomic-EF...0AAOSwvcheMDlb
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    That is tempting me now. Have to lock out the mechanical timing advance on the distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    That is tempting me now. Have to lock out the mechanical timing advance on the distributor.
    Be interested to hear how you get on.
    Still saving for paint here, but getting a bit more mpg from the FE via EFI is a long term aspiration.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Thanks All.

Mpg is not top of the priority list but another few miles of range would be useful.

I'll update this thread as I do the work through winter. Pretty sure that I am going to be doing it - looks like a fun project.

Any thoughts on the O2 sensor location?

Would much prefer not to weld it into the collector as it will look rubbish but obviously need to avoid mis reading.

Looking at the O2 location. They suggest 6-8 inch down stream of the collector merges, not on the outside of a bend but inside and you need at least 10 degree tilt.

Holley do a no weld CO2 fit kit.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../71014302-RHKR

Three different sizes depending on the CO2 thread size.

They need to be perfectly air tight so I do wonder how long the gasket will last. I thing a thread and get it welded is a more no worries solution long term having had problems with head gaskets burning out. I would use high temp silicon or make a copper sheet gasket instead of there gasket if you decide to go that route.

Have been watching some of these EFI videos on Youtube.
    Looks like the Atomic is one to beware: Holley bought the brand, and is really plugging its sniper kit.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast