Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eps

Quote Originally Posted by corn plaster View Post
    You will need a steering wheel boss. Dax were cheaper at the time than direct from manufacturers.

Andy
    Make one......save your pocket money for something else

I see you have asked twice for an approx cost.

I have NO IDEA on current Price Lists
    but from two years ago - the price for just the Corsa

STEERING WHEEL BOSS - POLISHED BILLET.............£115 +vat

£££'s I'd expect for the complete package.

There are a couple of things to consider, I had fitted the corsa b or c or whatever column but after discussing with DCE who are on my doorstep I was told that there is a problem with these, which i guess is dependent on your viewpoint. I have been told that although the corsa column can be made speed sensitive by the inclusion of a sensor on the propshaft or gearbox, it has a minimum level of assistance which it will ALWAYS deliver. I wanted a solution where the assistance came in at parking speeds and reduced as you pick up speed until delivering no assistance whatsoever at a speed set by myself, probably around 25mph. If I want to do that then the corsa column will not work so I have switched to DCE's microsteer system which is smaller that the corsa unit and does just what I want. this is £800 odd for the kit and the speed sensor and various UJ's and bits of shaft but you will still need some shaft sections and splines machined and a boss made up, I would not bother getting an off the shelf boss, I would get one made as others have said, its probably easier in this situation anyway as you can then match it to the dimensions you have and the spline that you want. The other thing to consider is that many have reported that they have had no self centring after installing EPS, indeed I have read that systems have been removed again for this very reason, I guess it depends on how much castor your car has in the first place, the RAM had quite a lot so I doubt this will be a problem although I can also add more castor if I need to. A boss will cost £150 or so I guess as long as you are not asking the machine co to do the cad as well. Most of the corsa bracketry is easy and can be welded into the structure with bits of angle iron. I have now cad designed a system to mount the microsteer and had the parts laser cut as this was a more complex unit to mount than the corsa column. So if you want a corsa column I have one.................

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    I wanted a solution where the assistance came in at parking speeds and reduced as you pick up speed until delivering no assistance whatsoever at a speed set by myself
    What would happen if you cut the power to the column ?
    Would a simple floor mounted dip switch with suitable relay work...

That total price is looking more and more like a holiday abroad

The problem is that there is a lot more effort required to turn the Corsa column than the dce one so that takes out steering feeling and increases the amount of castor required to achieve self centering. All of this is not a problem if you are happy with that compromise. It's not an issue if you are happy to accept that. I just decided that I wanted the benefit of parking speed pas with minimal interference at higher speeds and yes, it's more expensive but that's just something where I wanted to improve the practically of the car at low speed but impact it as little as possible at higher speeds. Just a question of applying your own value to things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12