Bell housing / Sump is grounding out - AK427 Chevy 6.8

Anybody got any advice on ground clearence solutions? My Bell housing is the lowest point with baffled sump just slightly higher (may be 5 mm) at about 8 cm ground clearence . Any solutions you guys can suggest to protect it from sleeping policemen and such like.

Also any one increased thier ride height with positive outcomes to ride etc?

All the best Simon

AK427 530 BHP V8 Chevy 1999
    Last edited by Babyyoda427; 27-09-20 at 09:10 PM.

On mine Simon, I cut the bottom part of the bell housing flange off also added a full length sump guard and finally fitted 60 profile tyres this gave me around100mm ground clearance. I could have raised the suspension but this would have ruined the stance and look.

Baz

As Baz says, trim the bell-housing and plate behind the flywheel. Here's the trimming for my car with an FE and a Lakewood Bell-housing. No doubt similar trimming can be made for any engine/bell-housing combination.

John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I did increase ride height and tyre pressures slightly with great results in terms of being able to drive on East Sussex' crap roads with some confidence that I wont lose half my engine and underslung exhaust.

If I was to do track days I am sure the handling wouldnt be optimal but I havnt noticed the difference on the roads and I will take that over the constant scanning of the road ahead to avoid grounding. I did consider a sump guard on a sacrificial basis but with the underslung exhaust & low bell housing would need the guard to extend all the way back past the mid point of the car. When I bought the car I wrecked the first centre section of the exhaust in 5 weeks - new one wasnt cheap.........
    Andrew
    AK Gen1 - Ford 351W - Dream come true

Looking at the sump guard I put on a year or two ago, I'm amazed I hadn't ripped the sump off previously!! It's got some serious scars on it. I used 4mm alloy and run it back behind the bellhousing. Slope at the front and slope at the back so that if i did miss a speed hump coming up in theory it would skid over! 4mm is thick enough to jack the car up on (not that I do). I have solid sides with vent holes drilled in the front and back slopes and drain holes in the bottom.
    Interesting John that you trimmed your backplate/bellhousing cover. I never thought of that although with the Canton baffled sump I have I'm not sure I would have gained much. I'll take a look and see if a modification is needed. Do you still run the standard size FE flywheel?
    Sleeping policemen are always going to be a problem with a cobra, especially some of the ones you see around now. That oil cooler housing on the front is just never going to go over them without the 'cobra wriggle' which I had to stop and do on a main road the other day where they had planed off the surface for repair and left what looked like a cliff edge to me!!!!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Interesting John that you trimmed your backplate/bellhousing cover. I never thought of that although with the Canton baffled sump I have I'm not sure I would have gained much. I'll take a look and see if a modification is needed. Do you still run the standard size FE flywheel?
    Yes, standard size flywheel. It's only the flange on the bell-housing that's trimmed. This may weaken it a little bit but I doubt it would cause any problems with the exception that a modified bell-housing might not be legal on the track.

I'm using an Aviad oil pan and it's quite low. Trimming the bell-housing flange still didn't bring it quite up to the bottom of the pan, but close.

The ride height is shown below, although I seem to remember I could only get 5.0" at the front after I set the height at the rear to its maximum of 5.25". (This mentioned in the description below, but not reflected in the diagram). The only issue I've had is a few scuff marks on the underside of the oil cooler scoop and I have no idea when it happened or what caused it.

John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Thanks all for your kind replies. I will certainly look at getting the bellhousing flange reduced and get the mechanic to look at a mix of ride height and Skid pan over the winter storage months. Luckily roads around our way arent terrible so it just tends to happen when the wife is in the passenger seat. (how do I tell her that) :0

Andrew, if your in Mayfield we are close, Im in Chelwood gate. regualrly drive around the Ashdownb Forest, Uckfield, Tunbridge wells, Crowborough regions. Give me a beep if you see me out and about. Gen 1 AK427 - Metallic Blue. Or PM me iof you fancy a coffee and a chat at any point! Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Babyyoda427 View Post
    Andrew, if your in Mayfield we are close, Im in Chelwood gate. regualrly drive around the Ashdownb Forest, Uckfield, Tunbridge wells, Crowborough regions. Give me a beep if you see me out and about. Gen 1 AK427 - Metallic Blue. Or PM me iof you fancy a coffee and a chat at any point! Simon
    Hey Simon - regularly over Fletching/Nutley way - usually heading to The Griffin or Coach & Horses! Will drop you a line for a pint or coffee but at this rate it may be next year. I have a hip replacement in 10 days time and by the time I am over that it will be winter or we may be forbidden from meeting other households! Silver/Grey AK Gen1 with wire wheels in case you see me!

Andrew
    Andrew
    AK Gen1 - Ford 351W - Dream come true

First thing I'd do is make sure the car is set at the correct height as per AK instructions. IIRC the height is measured to the bottom edge of each end the side chassis rail and is 19cms at the front and 21cms at the rear.

Once you are at this slight forward rake you can then see what the sump/ bellhousing situation looks like and how much actually needs trimming off.
    Id also take a gander at how much clearance you have on the air filter assembly under the hood scoop as it may be possible to raise the engine a tad also which could net you some extra mm's.

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......