Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Locking rear brakes

Hi ,
    I had a IVA test today on my Ram cobra at Gillingham.
    it went pretty well to be fair but failed mainly on rear brakes locking up before the fronts on a dynamic brakes test.
    Any ideas on how I could sort this? It’s on Jag inboard discs. Would a proportioning valve fix it?
    Thanks

Ben
    Always in the sh*t, just the depth that varies !

AKA The Silver Fox

Yes it should fix that and I think that mine had one but I have now changed the pedal box to a tilton with a bias bar so I don't need one.

Check you have the routing correct to the master brake cylinder as the piston is split to forward bias to the front first. It could be simple as switching the connections.

This is a 'known' thing for the Ram. You fit an adjustable bias valve but in the front circuit rather than the (conventional) back circuit.

Cobra Build Chassis nsf.jpg
    Last edited by mylesdw; 28-09-20 at 10:07 PM.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    This is a 'known' thing for the Ram. You fit an adjustable bias valve but in the front circuit rather than the (conventional) back circuit.

Cobra Build Chassis nsf.jpg
    Actually, I may be completely wrong here - you have the opposite symptom to the one Adrian (from Ram) described to me years ago.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

What master cylinder are you using? Maybe as suggested before, the pipe connections to this could be arse about face.

David.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Wessex region caretaker rep.

I've had to use a proportioning valve on the rear brake line two of my previous builds.
    I think from a Sierra or Mondeo.
    Don't forget it can't be adjustable for IVA.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Had exactly the same thing atGillingham. Fitted an adjustable proportioning valve which was the cause of my second fail!
    after lots of head scratching, I discovered the rear pads had been contaminated and were ultra sticky. Fitted a new set of normal pads and it flew through....alway check the obvious/cheapest fix first!

simon
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

You could reduce the surface area in contact with the disc by adjusting the pad with a grinder.

For using an adjustable bias valve, my understanding is that it's ok for IVA if after it has been set. The adjustment is rendered inoperable. i.e. the adjustable knob shaft is cut off flush. So it can't be adjusted.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast