Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XJS Handbrake level

Morning, yesterday was IVA day......awful experience. Great shame.

On the handbrake test, the examiner managed to yank my lever, off centre and has buckled the chromed steel flange that hits the ratchet system and thus broken it!!! Straightening it up last night will not resolve it as it is now a weak point.

Does anyone have a spare clean one i could buy please and source asap as i plan to reapply for the next available slot.

Thank you

Jules
    AK Cobra started 06/19
    Chevy 383 Stroker, TKO 600
    See my build on instagram: Julesdm14

Sorry to hear but they did it to my friends car on IVA, they pull it across an not straight up and so end up as you have! Afterwards we bent the mounting bracket slightly over and I donated my spare handbrake, as you say it spreads the mounts open thus weakening the handle. Good luck.
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

I have "bits" of one - I can dig it out this evening and post a pic, see if it has the bits you need
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Thanks Aaron
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I have "bits" of one - I can dig it out this evening and post a pic, see if it has the bits you need
    AK Cobra started 06/19

Sounds like you'll need to improve its function anyway, I'm guessing the tester was only pulling it that hard to get it to pass??

My first AK failed 1 (and nearly 2) IVA tests on handbrake efficiency, eventually scraping a pass at 18% with me stood on sill pulling with both hands with the force of 10 tigers.

Have you got the newer system with the pulley?
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Hi guys, I can't help with sourcing a replacement handbrake but just on the handbrake efficiency my AK with the pulley system passed with 26% so it can be done. The trick for me was to make sure your brake shoes are well adjusted. I will concede its efficiency has waned since the test and will need looking at when MOT needed next year.
    For absolute certainty, Craig Perry and AndyM on here have both done really good electronic setups and worth talking to.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches94 View Post
    Hi guys, I can't help with sourcing a replacement handbrake but just on the handbrake efficiency my AK with the pulley system passed with 26% so it can be done. The trick for me was to make sure your brake shoes are well adjusted. I will concede its efficiency has waned since the test and will need looking at when MOT needed next year.
    For absolute certainty, Craig Perry and AndyM on here have both done really good electronic setups and worth talking to.
    I drove to my IVA and did a few miles with the handbrake on one click which got the pads bedded in nicely, I think I got around 24 or 25% when it came to the test. 6 years on, last MOT I got 21%

Right .. is this the bit(s) you need?

My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by hifihedgehog View Post
    I drove to my IVA and did a few miles with the handbrake on one click which got the pads bedded in nicely, I think I got around 24 or 25% when it came to the test. 6 years on, last MOT I got 21%
    At one of my IVA tests, my AK was very close to a pass so the tester said I'll drive it round the building with it engaged to try and bed them in.

When he came back to try it again there was smoke pouring off all four wheels, he'd driven round the building with the foot brake on all the way, which as we know will do nothing to bed in the handbrake on an AK !!
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

correct Monsieur
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Right .. is this the bit(s) you need?

AK Cobra started 06/19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast