Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pre-filling oil filters ?

Hi Chaps,

Bit trivial this, but does anyone bother pre-filling the new oil filter when changing the oil ? The canister on my 350 SBC is vertically mounted, so it would be easy, but is it necessary, or even advisable ?

Brian.

Admittedly i haven't run mine much since the engine was built so haven't needed many oil changes but i didn't even consider pre-filling it. I'm not sure i fancy the idea of trying to screw it in place whilst it's got oil in it. No idea if you're supposed to though.

Cheers,
    Mark

I always refill where possible. I think some of the upside down ones on other cars have valves to retain oil from draining out to minimise the dry running time
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

I always pre-fill too with the exception of horizontally mounted filters. I've been doing this for years, but have to admit, there were many more years of installing filters dry before I knew it was a good idea.

What I do consider important is to get the engine off idle as soon as it starts. This gets the oil flow and pressure up quickly. No high revving, just a short 2 or 3 second blip to maybe 2000 rpm, and then repeat.

If you don't do that, it's possible to watch your warning light remain on for a worrisome amount of time.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I have a RV8 and have always tried to put as much oil in as possible,
    If you don't mess about to much you should not spill much.
    The other thing is on the rv8 it is recommend that the sump oil should
    be drained and refilled before the oil filter is removed and then replaced with oil
    in filter .
    I can't see any down side apart from a bit of oil spill .
    Chris.

RV8 on mine but remote filter which is vertical so easy to do.
    Not sure if it makes a masive difference, the RV8 pump has a good flow rate and would fill the filter very quickly. But why would you not do it, it could not be a bad thing?

If you have a filter which mounts vertically upside down this is probably not a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    The other thing is on the rv8 it is recommend that the sump oil should
    be drained and refilled before the oil filter is removed and then replaced with oil
    in filter .
    Chris.
    That is probably good advice. I've never had any issues filling the oil after the filter was replaced during a normal oil change but have where the oil filter was removed for some time (weeks) had to re-prime the pump (Vaseline), IIRC the oil was not removed from the sump either so maybe the advice should also be not to leave the filter off for very long!
    Could also be related to the remote oil filter I have.

Definitely - Mine's mounter horizontally but I prefill it as much as I can before starting up after an oil change

yep try to pre-fill mine each time, less cranking on engine to get oil into correct places after drain and re fill.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

I always fill mine as well just in case.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast