Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Totally not Cobra related: Central heating thermostat anyone recommend wireless

As said not Cobra related but sooner I get this sorted out the sooner I'll be able to get back onto the car.

At the moment I have a central heating room thermostat mounted on the wall. It is actually battery powered so only interface with the boiler is a couple of wires, basically acting as a switch.
    The 'thermostat' has daily time ranges (about 4) each of which has a required temperature. In effect this acts as a timer and a thermostat.

Unfortunately the builder in their infinite wisdom decided to put the t'stat in the warmest room, faces south and most days doesn't need any heat on to get well into the 20's while other rooms are unbearably cold.
    What I want to do is put the t'stat into another room and the easiest way to do that would be wireless. So what I'm looking for is a wirless transmitter/receiver pair, to I can rerplace the current t'stat with the receiver and put the transmitter in the coldest room. The transmitter end would need to give simlar capability to my current t'stat (7 day timers with around 4 timers per day), also both ends really want to be battery powered as I don't have easy access to mains power.

Anybody suggest such a device?

Thanks in advance for all help.

I've got a Worcester Bosch one that seems to work OK. It doesn't have an app for the phone though. Just a wireless thermostat and control panel.

I have Hive, which does this. Was a straightforward replacement for the old timer and thermostat.

Boiler control unit is connected to the boiler, btw, so I assume there's power at that end.

Sorry guys I meant to say, I don't really want or need a phone app kind that I can control from the other side of the planet just a wireless thermostat. If I have to go that way I will but ideally not.
    The control may be connected to the boiler but that is some rooms away, this seems to be a simple switch which tells the boiler to turn the heating on when time and temperature dictate.

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    Sorry guys I meant to say, I don't really want or need a phone app kind that I can control from the other side of the planet just a wireless thermostat. If I have to go that way I will but ideally not.
    The control may be connected to the boiler but that is some rooms away, this seems to be a simple switch which tells the boiler to turn the heating on when time and temperature dictate.
    The Worcester Bosch one ticks those boxes but I'm assuming it will only play nicely with a Worcester Boiler.

I had a simple Honeywell unit at my old house, with the GlowWorm boiler; pretty simple to install - I think this is the new version of it: https://heatingcontrols.honeywellhom...mostats/DT92E/
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I had a simple Honeywell unit at my old house, with the GlowWorm boiler; pretty simple to install - I think this is the new version of it: https://heatingcontrols.honeywellhom...mostats/DT92E/
    Thanks Aaron.
    From a quick look that appears it would do the job, only issue is it also appears to be mains powered on the receiver side, I may not be able to get away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Robinson View Post
    The Worcester Bosch one ticks those boxes but I'm assuming it will only play nicely with a Worcester Boiler.
    Hi Mark
    I think I know the kind you mean, had one on a WB boiler in my previous house, the receiver plugged into the front of the boiler, different modules were available.
    As you say specific to their boilers. All I'm looking for is one which acts as a switch. I have experimented with the current system, it simply connects with 2 wires, if I bridge them out the boiler switches on for the central heating.

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    Thanks Aaron.
    From a quick look that appears it would do the job, only issue is it also appears to be mains powered on the receiver side, I may not be able to get away from that.
    Actually looking a bit deeper it seems that it's possible to use the switch wires to supply power to the unit also. Could be a winner with that one.
    Thanks again Aaron

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast