Hybrid View

Rover V8 starter issues

Starter motor spins freely on the bench, but on the car all I get is rapid clicking.

Engine turns over if you put it in 5th and push the car forward.

Any ideas?
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

It won't tell you a lot by spinning it on the bench,
    you need to be able to put a load on the starter pinion
    to get much idea what is going on .
    What you should do if you can is take it to a proper auto electrical
    place and they will clamp it up and perform a Lock Torque check.
    Failing that, clamp the starter in a good vice and load the pinion wilh
    a piece of wood, something like a broom handle will do.
    You will then need operate the starter / solenoid, you will probably need a spare pair of hands to
    assist .
    It is probably a good idea to make sure that the leads and battery are all good to start with .
    Chris.
    p.s. Let me know if there is something your not sure about.

Assuming you have a good battery voltage and the cable to the starter motor is intact and bolted to the connection tight, it sounds like it isn't engaging with the flywheel, you could try shimming it off with a few washers to see if that helps, is the starter specific to your age of engine?, I'm not sure but think the later ones are different from the early ones

Has the motor spun the engine in the past or is it a new starter motor. New starter motor might need shimming. If its been fine in the past check battery terminals and battery charge. Bench testing does not do a load test on the starter or battery of 400-500 Amps from cold start engaged.

The solenoid is clicking it could still be the contacts of the solenoid not able to delivering the current.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Been fine until this afternoon, started and drove out the garage, turned it off, now it’s just clicking

Out of mesh clearance should be about an eighth of an inch.

I had the same issue with my Rover V8, starter motor worked fine but then would just click. I checked all the connections and I decided to buy a new one, the first one was also new.
    The new one worked initially but then developed the same fault. Anyway I eventually found that the earth connection was bad. I had a battery cutoff switch and discovered it was causing an intermittent fault a bad earth. Removed the switch and connected the earth lead directly to the battery. I have had no problems ever since.

Rob

I had a similar problem. Though the motor turned the engine wouldn't start. Tried a lot of things including changing the old Lucas motor for a new Bosch style one - still didn't work. Then I replaced the battery terminals and it started first time.

Bernie