Thread: Tremec TR6060

Tremec TR6060

Hi Guys,

Have any of you installed a Tremec TR6060 in their cobra or have any experience of working with them?

I have a TR6060 out of a 2010 Camaro and plan to put it on the back of an LS3. I have three questions that I'd appreciate some help with:

1. Do I need to delete the CAGS solenoid if it sin't being used, or is it ok to just leave it electrically disconnected.
    2. The clutch bleed pipe isn't all that accessible when the body work is on. Has anyone run a longer pipe to a more accessible area? If so, some advice on how to do this would be great.
    3. The TR6060 has an inbuilt pump to circulate the oil to a cooler. As the cobra will only be about half the weight of the original car it came out of, I don't expect it to be working as hard and therefore not require a cooler. Is it acceptable to just run a short pipe from the outlet to the inlet, without going via a cooler? I have read that you can just blank off the ports, but this doesn't sound a very good idea to me as it will just build up the pressure in the pump. It only runs at about 7psi, but still doesn't sound a great idea to me! What are your thoughts?

Thanks for any advice,

Dave (newbie to the forum).

Hello Dave,

I run a TR 6060/LS3 from a 2015 Camaro. The remote change had to be modified to shorten it and move the gear lever forward.

Dealing with your points:

1. Mine is disconnected.
    2. Clutch bleed is extended to engine bay. Have hydraulic shop connect a flexible pipe and bleed nipple end fitting to GM's pipe from slave.
    3. Mine is connected inlet/outlet across the top of gearbox. Again use hydraulic shop to adapt existing fittings to flexible pipe.

Terry

Hi Dave, and welcome.
    I believe the TR6060 is an upgrade of the T56 which I have previously used.
    I never connected the reverse lock out on mine it still worked fine, just give it a good shove.
    Or you might be able to remove it completely that'd save a bit of space too.
    I replaced the the clutch bleed hose for a much longer one that I made up which was accessible from the engine bay.
    Can't help on the oil cooler circuit as the T56 didn't have one, but I suspect you're right that you won't need the cooler unless doing a lot of track work.
    What are you building?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Hi Terry,

Thanks, that is really helpful. Your answers are in line with what I was thinking, but it is great to hear it from someone that has the experience of doing it already.

Ref the remote changer. I have removed mine and was planning to put a new shifter where the remote shifter cover is. The TR60606 and T56 are quite long so I think I might need the gear stick to be further forwards anyway.

Dave

Thanks Kev,

That is useful info that I will factor in with the changes I make.

I'm building an AK Cobra (GenIII). It is at a rolling chassis stage at the mo. The engine is being built at the moment and should be ready by the end of October so I'm just getting the gearbox ready to pop on the back.

Dave

I thought I would update the thread with my progress incase anyone chooses to use a TR6060. I don't know if it is technically correct yet or not, but having read plenty of US blogs, I think it might be the way to go:

1. CAGS - You can delete it and there are plenty of simple blanking solutions. However, it isn't necessarily needed and it seems to generally be done if you are a bit tight on tunnel space. On my AK Cobra, I have plenty of space, so I will be leaving the CAGS solenoid in place, but not connecting it electrically.
    2. I'm still working on a solution for the bleed pipe extension. The existing bleed nipple is relative easy to access. I'm not sure about being able to loosen/tighten it in situ though. I may still choose to run a bleed pipe to a remote location like Terry suggested.
    3. The fittings to connect the pump inlet/outlets together with a pipe over the top of the gearbox aren't readily available in the UK. I found these ones in the States though that will enable me to convert to a -6AN fitting and then I can make up a pipe myself:
    https://threepedals.com/products/fittings/an-adapter-fitting/pure-choice-motorsports-tr6060-to-6an-adapters/

4. The clutch slave is not easy to connect to if the OEM fittings are still on the pipes. Also, the plastic clutch pipes from the Camaro are pretty horrid. As a result, I have disconnected it at the fitting that is close to the clutch release bearing. This can be adapted to a -4An fitting and can then easily be connected to. Part number LS0024ERL from Earl's Performance Products is the part you need. It isn't cheap as they need to get it shipped in from the States. It is about £45, but will make life a lot easier with the install.

Dave

Regarding item 4, above. The Earl's part is 652504ERL, NOT LS0024ERL as previously stated. That was a £45 mistake on my part. The correct part is in stock in the UK at <£20.