Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ls 3 oil pressure help please!

Any help / advice appreciated as I’ve not done this before! I’ve got a new LS 3 supplied by Roadcraft, I’m trying to prime the oil pump before first start up, the paper work that came with the engine says to remove plugs and spin the engine over for 20 seconds then wait 30 seconds and continue the process until gaining oil pressure, my question is how many times approx would you expect to turn it over before the oil pressure comes up? I’ve done this for a few minutes ie 20 secs then 30 rest etc but nothing.I then watched the video using a drill pump pushing oil into the inlet under the starter which I’ve just done, using the pump the oil light goes out and the gauge moved slightly, putting the bung back in and repeating the 20 second process I still can’t get the oil light to go out or any movement on the gauge, I’m starting to wonder if I’ve got a pump problem? As I say I’ve not done this before so maybe I’m not persisting long enough? Just concerned I’ll bugger the starter motor.

comments/ advice much appreciated,

Mark.
    AK gen2 ls3

If you’ve turned out the oil pressure light and seen the gauge move then I’d stop there and move on with firing up the motor. You just need to get oil around the engine, and you’ve done that.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Mark,

I did this a couple of months ago with an LS3 from Roadcraft. Roadcraft usually prime it for you, so should be OK if you have not had it long. My engine had stood for 18months since their prime, so was advised by Brian at Roadcraft to do again, but just remove plugs and crank for 10 seconds and repeat until you get pressure. I did not pump any oil through the port.

I got oil pressure on the 3rd crank (about 30-40psi), measured using a temporary mechanical pressure gauge (not sure what gauge you are using?)

Mike

Thanks guys, I’ve had the engine three years and I’m using a smiths gauge ( electronic) I’ve not seen anything like 30 psi and I’ve cranked it probably ten times, I’ve got the Omex fuse pulled which I don’t think affects the gauge
    AK gen2 ls3

You do have the distributor in don't you.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Hi Myles, no distributor on this set up, I’m concerned that others seemed to have got say 30psi while cranking only a few times and I’ve only managed to get the oil light out by pumping oil through the port, tempted to move on to the next stage as Loyd has said,

Mark
    AK gen2 ls3

I don't know a lot about the Ls3 engine or how the
    oil pump is driven but do know that some engines drive the
    pump via the distributor and cam shaft gear .
    What my question to you is do you know how the oil pump
    is ment to be driven ?
    Has something sheared like a roll pin ?
    Chris.
    Last edited by Chris1; 18-10-20 at 09:39 AM.

Well after leaving it over night and trying again this morning I’ve had a result, oil light went out and the gauge went up to about 25 psi, my visions of an expensive paper weight are over! Hopefully get this thing running this week!

Mark
    AK gen2 ls3

Mark,

Glad it worked out in the end. It can be a bit concerning until you eventually get the pressure.

Mike

The LS3 is a modern engine with ECU controlling spark etc from the crank and cam sensors. No distributor required.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    I don't know a lot about the Ls3 engine or how the
    oil pump is driven but do know that some engines drive the
    pump via the distributor and cam shaft gear .
    What my question to you is do you know how the oil pump
    is ment to be driven ?
    Has something sheared like a roll pin ?
    Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast