Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dax seat belt finisher.

Anyone used these? Seems like a good way to protect the paint. Would need the seat belt eye removing. How is that accessed on a Dax deDion? Also the roll hoops would need lifting. Are they bolted to the chassis at the base?
    https://www.jksportscars.co.uk/produ...sher-pair-set/

Hi I've got these on my car, seat belt eye unscrews from the top of the turret hiding just under the body. I havent got roll hoops on mine so can't help you there but I think the hoop legs go into tubes on the chassis with through-bolts, it depends on who built the car if they are accessed from the boot (either side of the battery, may need to remove some boot panels) or may be accessed from under the car

I've also got a patch of clear helicopter tape between the finisher and rolled cockpit edge of the body which has taken a lot of hammer over 7 years - and presumably saved the same amount of wear on the paint

Dave A

The eye bolt should just unscrew - as Dave says, it goes through the body and into the seat belt turret, and the hoops will either then be free to move or through bolted on the tubular uprights.

A word of warning though - mine needed ratchet straps and all the leverage I could muster in order to line the seat belt bolt up! If yours doesn't come out without a fight, you'll likely have the same experience as the third leg of the hoop 'pings' back to wherever it naturally wants to be.. (and I tried three hoops from Dax and two from Europa, they all had an offset of some degree)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Ditto above. A fight, i left the rachet strap internally placed for two years and like a teeth brace everything lines up now without the rachet

In my case the two front legs (the U) only needed a little persuasion but the third leg at the back, whew! I couldn't really leave the ratchet strap attached to those

... well, I could, I suppose, as it's still sat in the garage!
    My DeDion build diary..

Thanks chaps. I can’t see the seat belt eye from the boot so it must be behind the rear bulkhead panel. Don’t know if that’s removable. However, it sounds like a “5 minute job” could be leading to a whole world of pain if Aaron’s and Cobrgreyhead’s experiences are anything to go by. Perhaps helicopter tape might be the safest solution?
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Thanks chaps. I can’t see the seat belt eye from the boot so it must be behind the rear bulkhead panel. Don’t know if that’s removable. However, it sounds like a “5 minute job” could be leading to a whole world of pain if Aaron’s and Cobrgreyhead’s experiences are anything to go by. Perhaps helicopter tape might be the safest solution?
    Dek
    I don't think you need access to the chassis turret to undo the seatbelt eye bolt, I used my fattest screwdriver through the eye to do it up, its access for the roll hoop legs is the bit that could be a faff

Did anyone else spend ages like I did trying to do up the driver and passenger seat belt eye bolts so they were exactly the same alignment?!

Yep as Dave says - the eye bolt goes into a threaded boss that is welded to the chassis; there's nothing "inside" the car to undo, just unthread it from the outside The only "inside" bits might be if the U section roll hoops are bolted through the chassis tubes; if they are then it's most likely only the one that is in the wheel arch on a DeDion chassis, so is easily accessible if you remove the wheel.
    My DeDion build diary..

Thank you guys for the info. So just to be clear, when I unscrew the seat belt eye from above there is a chance the roll hoop leg that it’s screwed through will ping out of alignment?
    Dek

Quite possible to flex I had to do exactly what the other guys have said ratchet straps but not massive tension just helps with bolt in or out, I have 2 seat belt finishers surplus if you need a pair?
    mark
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast