Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just a thought, I'd assume that the fuel would go to the rear when accelerating. Did you see the car sos trick. When he used a balloon and it goes forward. Don't know if the same physics would apply to a liquid?

Does anyone know if there is an off the shelf converter /adaptor plate i could buy, to save me getting one made

ref this point I managed to find a position where I could drill and tap the tank to fit the VDO without an adaptor.

ref the gauge accuracy, I’m linked to a Speedhut fuel gauge and I reckon I’ve got similar problems in terms of variable readings but it’s a lot better than the old bent arm sender.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Sounds like it’s a voltage stabiliser issue. Is there an inbuilt one in the gauge? You could always use my “fail safe” solution Paul. A bit of wooden dowel to dip the tank. Never lets me down!
    Dek
    i dont think the gauge itself has an inbuilt stabiliser, but i will check with Caerbont or Speedy Cables tomorrow.

I dont think this is down to fluctuations in voltage Dek , because if it was , the needle would be going up and down all the time. This issue is movement related, and seems to be worse ,when there is less fuel in the tank. My theory is ,that when there is more fuel in the tank, the float is being kept up, where as when the fuel level drops , and the fuel level falls and rises with acceleration and de-acceleration i think the float is then allowed to drop.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by psh View Post
    i dont think the gauge itself has an inbuilt stabiliser, but i will check with Caerbont or Speedy Cables tomorrow.

I dont think this is down to fluctuations in voltage Dek , because if it was , the needle would be going up and down all the time. This issue is movement related, and seems to be worse ,when there is less fuel in the tank. My theory is ,that when there is more fuel in the tank, the float is being kept up, where as when the fuel level drops , and the fuel level falls and rises with acceleration and de-acceleration i think the float is then allowed to drop.
    It’s just that you said the gauge would rise when steadily cruising and there wouldn’t be much fuel slosh then.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by philbrad73 View Post
    Just a thought, I'd assume that the fuel would go to the rear when accelerating. Did you see the car sos trick. When he used a balloon and it goes forward. Don't know if the same physics would apply to a liquid?
    The balloon goes forward because it is either neutrally buoyant with the air, or more buoyant; then under acceleration the air moves to the back of the car and the balloon 'floats' to the front.
    Fuel is heavier than air, so takes the place of the air in this scenario, with the air in the tank taking the place of the balloon - fuel back, air forward.

.. doesn't help the OP but I couldn't help myself
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

That's what I would have thought, but trying to to think why a sender at the front of a tank would rise?

Quote Originally Posted by seph View Post
    Paul,

it may be worth a call to Spiyda to see what they recommend. My float based one has no issues

Paul
    Paul,

I have sent Spiyda an email and await their reply ,

Paul
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    It’s just that you said the gauge would rise when steadily cruising and there wouldn’t be much fuel slosh then.
    Dek
    Sorry Dek , reading It again, I can see how I may have mislead people. As an example, the tank will read 1/4 tank with car stationary, with either engine running or with just ignition on . Then once I start driving , it takes around 30 seconds for needle to climb and then holds at 1/2 tank ,and remains there while steadily cruising , apart from the expected slight delayed needle deviation going around corners and up and down long hills . The problem is more noticeable when tank is below 1/2 full, and from ½ full to full ,the needle remains fairly steady in all situations, which is perfect .Then with tank below ½ tank ,and the car is stationary again , after about 30 seconds ,needle drops and holds at ¼ tank again .

However, I am going to have to halt this project for the time being ,as I have just had some devastating new news from the neighbour of my 94 year Uncle ,who lived alone, which has knocked me for six ,to say that he found him dead on his bedroom floor, and because of the serious injuries he sustained to his head and arms, and the huge amount of blood loss, the police are involved, and I am currently up to my neck sorting this out , his house and estate ,as I am his only next of Kin, and this has come just a year after losing my Mum .

Thanks for all your input guys, any more thoughts welcome .
    Paul
    Paul.

My condolences, Paul.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Sorry to hear that Paul. Condolences.
    Dek

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast