Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Dash warning light help required?

Hi all, I am in the finishing stages of my DAX build I have swapped the dash lights for the black hidden style from car builder solutions they’re LED’s, so the issue I have is with the indicator warning light. The DAX loom is wired to take a single or double indicator warning light the loom is fitted with the relays and single illuminated warning lights, my issue is that I’ve replaced with the LED type from CBS but the light on,y lights up one way?
    CBS told me that I need an electronic relay to feed the new light and that will sort the problem...
    so relay arrived today and it doesn’t matter how I wire it all I’m getting is blown fuses. After the 6th try wires all in different places I put it all back to the original DAX set up and all is fine, on changing the warning light to my replacement I have got back to where I started, no fuses blowing but it only illuminates in 1 direction (not pop group), help please not sure what to do next? I have emailed CBS to see if they have any ideas but a real scratchy head moment and also I’m no A1auto electrician but can get by??
    thanks Mark
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Mark,

With just a single warning lamp what happens is that the current direction switches when you change from the left to the right indicators. This is fine for conventional warning lamp bulbs, but LEDs are one-way diodes - hence the LED only lighting one way and not the other. What you need is a diode bridge before the LED lamp to deliver the correct polarity.

I have to pop out now, but hopefully armed with this information you should be able to find an off the shelf solution with a few online searches!
    Alan

Ex CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep - please contact me if you're interested in taking on the role!
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)

Dax 427 DeDion - now sold
    2003 E85 Z4 3.0i - the new toy!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/from-0-35...72.m2749.l2649

Hopefully the above is what you need?
    I've used the same dash warning lights and used the above to trigger the charge circuit on the alternator.

You might also need these diodes as suggested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...72.m2749.l2649
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Back again now!

Assuming I've understood the issue correctly - i.e. you have a pair of leads to the single dashboard LED, which illuminates when indicating in one direction but not the other - then what you need is a bridge recitifier. If you have soldering skills, then you can either solder four diodes together as shown in the Wikipedia link, or use a bridge rectifier diode like this.

If you don't, and want a plug-in solution, then you need one of these. You connect the pair of leads to the two AC terminals (marked with the squiggle), and then run new leads from the + and - terminals to the LED lamp, ensuring the correct polarity (if they're the right way round the lamp will light - if not, swap the + and - leads over).

Hope this helps!
    Alan

Ex CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep - please contact me if you're interested in taking on the role!

Wow thanks Alan, I can solder but I’m not sure where you are saying to solder that diode in, if I go for the plug in not wanting to sound stupid but where does that go? I have 3 pins on the original flasher relay 31, 49 & 49a, the new relay from CBS has x = +ve, L = Indicator switch/ lamps P = dash warning lights. The DAX loom had the block wired 49 =+ve,49a = lamp and 31 = - neg. Your help is appreciated I’m sure not as difficult as I’m making sound I just need to understand what’s going where? Thanks again.
    Mark
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

The rectifier diode basically comprises four diodes connected in the "diamond" configuration shown in the Wikipedia link, and it needs to be inserted between the current lamp leads and the lamp holder.

The "AC" input terminals are both marked "~", and the DC output terminals as "+" and "-". Note that in fact the output from the flasher relay to the lamp is always direct current (DC) rather than AC (alternating current), but the DC polarity reverses between the left and right indicators.

The two leads currently connected directly to the dashboard lamp holder need instead to be connected to the two "~" terminals (either way round) on the rectifier, and the dashboard LED lamp is then connected between the "+" and "-" terminals. So although the polarity of the two lampholder leads reverses when switching between the left and right indicators, the connections from the rectifier to the LED lamp will always be + and - as marked.

The next issue might be the hazard lights - I've sold my Dax now, and I can't remember exactly how the indicator/hazard wiring goes! But as all the rectifier is doing is to ensure that the LED lamp sees the correct polarity regardless of the output from the flasher/hazard relay, it should work OK.

Hopefully this helps make it a bit clearer!
    Alan

Actually, having read your previous reply again, I need to give this a bit more thought. What I've suggested won't work if the dashboard lamp holder has one of its terminals connected directly to earth.

I'm tied up at the moment, but I'll have another look at it in the morning!
    Alan

This TR Register forum post might also be of help!
    Alan

Thank Alan really helpful I’ve slightly confused you the dash lamp has just two wires red and black so I assumed that one is earth but it’s all through the loom so not directly to earth. Cheers Mark.
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Just a quick question Alan, will I need to use the original relay or the electronic one from CBS? I’ve ordered the bridge rectifier cheers.
    Mark
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast