Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fuel sender wiring

On my car build i am now connecting up the loom to the various lights etc. Regarding the fuel sender with two connections, one earth and the other returning to the gauge i notice that on the sender there are no markings that indicate which wire goes where, is there any method that can tell me which is which, for instance if i connected up the tank to a positive and then a test lamp to the negative of a battery and then the other end of the test lamp to either of the two terminals on the sender, whichever lights up would indicate which is earth. A hairbrained idea or just desperate.
    Any solutions welcome.
    PS there is no fuel in the tank.

If its the float type sender it doesn't matter as it's just acting like a variable resistor..

Is it a lucas sender?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Thanks
    Yes it is the float type, i remember well having to set the float at the correct level.
    I am pretty sure AK supplied it with the tank.

Double checked and its a Caerbont(Smiths) type TB9011/KIT which is listed as a insulated return Bimetal type.
    Its got 2 male blade connectors on top.The associated paperwork which came with the gauge does not make it clear what wiring goes where.

Flip a coin, if it don’t work, flip it again

Since it is insulated return it does now matter which connection you use; one you connevt to earth and the other to the gauge.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

I'm pretty sure I have the same sender in my AK. I'll check the connections and let you know.

I am going to send an e-mail together with a photo of the setup showing the wires to Caerbont Automotive to see what they say. The fact that there are no markings + or - on the instrument would indicate that it does not matter which way the wires go round, but experience tells me that this is not always the case, historically green or black wire always represented earth, now that is not always the case particularly with world wide electrical imports (no names mentioned) so its best to check.

Thanks Incey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast