Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    I thought the needles had the equivalent of dampers on them to stop them bouncing about all over the place?

When you turn the ignition on, does the needle shoot up straight away, or move slowly?
    The needle goes up to level immediately, it's not a Smiths gauge and obviously not dampened with oil as some gauges are.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Yep, I fitted one a while back. Bit of a fiddle to get the settings right but with some patience and a look at their YouTube instructions it is not too challenging. Although they supply it with a load of ‘near enough’ presets I found I had to enter the resistance values for each stage to get mine spot on but it is totally spot on and the anti slosh stopped the gauge from varying. Good product.
    Thanks, this looks like a clever fix, I was hoping to resolve problem cheaper but it appears there's risks involved with cheaper fixes?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    If you have any suspicion that the voltage stabiliser
    is faulty,
    change a s a p otherwise it will probably wreck any
    gauges on that circuit.
    Usually the fuel & coolant temperature gauges.
    Chris.
    I'm not aware they run through any voltage stabilizer?

Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    Be very careful about adding a capacitor across "anything"! It's basically the same as a battery, and if the sensor shorts, it can provide a high amperage spark that could cause the fuel tank to explode. Here's a post I made about it a while back"

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49776
    But these are fitted on many early cars without the problem of exploding fuel tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Assuming you cannot resolve the underlying issue, then the other solution would be one of these. As well as "antislosh" it helps to tune the sender/gauge to the tank. Useful particularly if your tank is an odd shape

https://www.spiyda.com/fuel-gauge-wizard-mk3.html

My friend got this new Cobra project with almost the same issue on the fuel gauge. We'll just finish installing the brake kit and off road steel wheels on the Wrangler before we can start working on the Cobra. Will definitely consider that gauge.

Three points:
    1 - fuel gauge should be damped to reduce impact of ‘sloshing’
    2 - Voltage stabiliser should be fitted to prevent the gauge changing slightly as the car voltage changes (12-14V).
    4 - the above are the easier solutions but fitting a Spiyda signal linearisation unit should sort it too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12