Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Image wheels

Image wheels

Heads up guys!!
    Just cleaned my 17" image rear wheels.
    https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/chb-alloy-wheel/
    They both have badly cracked centres, these are only visible from the rear side after cleaning. The wheels are about 20 years old and have had quite a few track day's on them, they have gone through 3 sets of tyres . So I've had my monies worth.
    Even if you don't use yours like mine, I really suggest you remove, clean and inspect!!!
    Cheers Clive
    On On

That’s a very good spot and a definite safety issue. If that was on an aeroplane then the Civil Aviation Authority would get involved making inspection a mandatory occurrence.
    I would suggest that Image Wheels are also informed to make them aware.
    In my opinion any wheel should be able to take quite a bit of punishment as long as it’s not been kerbed or had any impact. The fact that cracks have developed regardless of ‘spirited driving’ should be a concern.

David.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Hi David, Have told them and am replacing inners.
    Cheers Clive

Think I’ll whip mine off at the weekend as they are nearly as old as yours Clive. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

I had new tyres all around fitted to my Image 15 s ,
    no mention of any issues from the tyre guys .
    The wheels & tyres had covered around 11 k miles with just normalish driving.
    From past experience with alloys on Landrover / Range Rover it is deemed best to go with steels if
    you are use the vehicle for it's correct use ie. Not as a Chelsea tractor, mind you steels might be better
    due to some of the poor driving I've seen !
    Chris.

Proper torque loading of alloy wheels should be observed to prevent over tightening as this could induce stress into the wheel through compression and result in damage and possible failure of the wheel.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    Proper torque loading of alloy wheels should be observed to prevent over tightening as this could induce stress into the wheel through compression and result in damage and possible failure of the wheel.
    I will back that 100% ,
    lots of people ovetighten wheels, you may get away with doing that on steel but with alloys,
    definitely not .
    Always make sure you tell the tyre fitters the correct torque and I would personally check
    with a torque wrench when I get home.
    If I need to change a wheel on the m25 in the pouring rain I know that I've got a good chance
    of getting the wheel off !
    Chris.

Never had my wheels tightened with a gun, only by hand, so don't think that's the problem.

Bit of a worry, I have Image wheels on mine of simiar age, guess I'll be doing some checking soon.

No-one else but me has ever bolted these wheels onto my car but I must admit I don't even know what torque figure should be used, always just used a TaF setting and maybe I shouldn't be using that scafold pole on the end of my breaker bar, particularly as I'm not exactly small or weak to start with.

Anybody got any suggestions?

I've always used 90 ft lbs on mine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast