Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2030

We'll have driverless cars soon, and driverless deliveries, so once Uber gets rid of all of its drivers, the car will take you, within the city, to your destination. Car ownership in major cities, and amongst younger people has been falling for the last few years, and it seems the ciy-zens seem to dictate the direction of travel for the rest of the country.

The problems remain outside the city and its bypasses. So like I said...nothing to worry about. Oh, you probably wont be allowed to take your (now Lambo-busting priced) cobra into central London. Which is perhaps a shame for 'Supercars of London'.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

On your last point Kev, put my cobra reg in to the tfl ULEZ charge and it comes up with no charge due yet obviously my Euro 5 Mercedes van it wants money.
    Go figure. The old FE must be clean.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    We'll have driverless cars soon..
    Speaking as someone who works in IT, specifically security... god I hope not. "Ransomware" will take on a whole new meaning when it isn't just holding your files hostage but threatening to drive you into a bridge support..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Mine comes as exempt on the basis it's now classified as "Historic" from a DVLA class perspective. Do you still pay VED or is yours exempt too?

As I see it it's will be the beginning of the end for our hobby and enjoyment of cars, the people in charge seem to regard cars in general as at best a neccesary evil and at worst the devils work, you can be damn sure that after 2030 they will gradually increase fuel and road tax until the point where it becomes unaffordable for a petrol car, at the same time a campaign to vilify the driver will make driving cars like a Cobra akin to smoking or child abuse, ( that's already beginning), so enjoy your cars whilst you can because by 2035 the value of them will have dropped off a cliff!,
    Overly gloomy?????, unfortunately I don't think so
    Roger

I'm fitting a Mr. Fusion to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by rpm015 View Post
    As I see it it's will be the beginning of the end for our hobby and enjoyment of cars, the people in charge seem to regard cars in general as at best a neccesary evil and at worst the devils work, you can be damn sure that after 2030 they will gradually increase fuel and road tax until the point where it becomes unaffordable for a petrol car, at the same time a campaign to vilify the driver will make driving cars like a Cobra akin to smoking or child abuse, ( that's already beginning), so enjoy your cars whilst you can because by 2035 the value of them will have dropped off a cliff!,
    Overly gloomy?????, unfortunately I don't think so
    Roger
    Yup I think you are.
    People love our cars - that aint going to change in 10 years. Sure, they'll be some green-talking Leaf-driving city dwellers (who think nothing of 5 holidays a year by jet to Marbella) that wont like us - whats new?
    Yup, taxes could force us off the road, which will be a great shame. If that happes (and I dont think it will before 2040) just means we'll be getting a bloody great diesel transporter to do a round robin to pick them up very few months and take them to a track where people will flock to see these old monsters in their glory.
    £50 a lap (as inflation will have kicked in by then). Sorted.
    Last edited by KevinW; 18-11-20 at 09:08 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

We.. love our cars and some people do, but the green agenda is being pushed so hard at the youth of today and they are the ones who in 15 years time will be making the rules, they will be growing up with driverless cars with no love or appreciation of cars, they will just be another utility, so to them getting rid of the old polluting metal isn't a problem
    I'm no King Canute and realise things must change but just hope it's delayed long enough so that I can give up driving voluntarily due to old age rather than being forced off the road, ( I'm 59 btw)
    Last edited by rpm015; 18-11-20 at 09:35 PM.

One concern here is the manufacturers of our kits and other kit cars too. What happens about these guys? Potentially the kit car industry will be consigned to history and thus most of the kit manufacturers will have to close their doors. Sure some will divert their energies to electric power but a Cobra with a whine rather than a rumble?

With the switch to electric, watch the energy bills sky rocket! The government have already said they will be facing a tax deficit of £40bn a year with more electric cars taking to the road. And I don’t think pay per mile will make up for that little gem! The house holder will be footing the bill with a massive increase on VAT for household energy, which will be powering our nice new clean electric cars, possibly to the extend they currently rip us off with fuel prices being in excess of 70% tax.
    So Mr and Mrs Retired in their flat who own mere bus passes will also be fitting the bill.
    Like I said before, the government over the past couple of decades have created one HELL of a monster and will be leaving Joe Public to pay the bill.
    Last edited by Darnpistonbroke; 18-11-20 at 09:40 PM.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast