Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2030

Electric cars are certainly coming but I suspect they'll come in the same timeframe as they become practical and affordable. That's going to need major advances in battery and quite possible motor technology, a colossal investment in power generation & power transmission as well as further huge investment in hundreds of thousands of charging points.

With that done, someone somewhere is going to point out that its all academic unless we turn off fossil fuel power stations all around the world and that means persuading countries currently going through their own industrial revolution to follow suit.

I'm regularly lost for words at the incompetence of modern governments of either hue. They are seemingly incapable of organising even the most basic of change despite borrowing mind numbing sums of cash. I really can't see them organising all that lot in 10-15 years.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Not upsetting the EU will only apply in Scotland by then 😀😀
    The thing I fear a bit is the social backlash against gas guzzlers that could come. Bit like smoking. Social pressure could build up, not that it will stop me driving mine.
    Mostly, I only get praise or admiration when I take my car out but recently I have witnessed a few disapproving gestures from the woke brigade who apparently don’t like the noise or the smell (one incident was a car alongside at a set of lights).
    As far as I am concerned each to their own. Whatever, I can sleep knowing I am 100% certain my carbon footprint is less than most dissenters, cobra or not.
    Maybe personal carbon allowance is the way forward but how you could measure it who knows
    I had an interesting exchange with an eco warrior you last year who happened to be working with us, when he saw the car which I had taken to work he started about killing the planet etc, I the n pointed out how green the Cob was
    Running gear recycled from a scrap Granada
    Engine recycled from a scrap Range Rover
    Body work fibreglass from recycled glass
    Carpets from scrap ends
    Bonnet and boot stays are old golf club shafts
    Indicator stalks are kitchen door handles
    All sheet metal lining the engine bay scrap from a commercial kitchen
    I only do less than 3000 miles a year
    Etc etc
    In the end he grudgingly admitted " maybe it's not so bad"

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    governments of either hue.........are seemingly incapable of organising even the most basic of change despite borrowing mind numbing sums of cash.
    Not so

Someone bright spark mandarin has convinced our revolving transient politicans of the merits to produce make-believe money
    Print it....PRINT LOTS of it
    Hoodwink the gullible by giving it a palatable name - quantative easing.
    Put in a £ that's worth a penny

Me.....I'd print 3 Trillions and pay of our Debts to the clown that let us in the first place.
    and keep the extra trillion for the rainy day

Private Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by rpm015 View Post
    I had an interesting exchange with an eco warrior you last year who happened to be working with us, when he saw the car which I had taken to work he started about killing the planet etc, I the n pointed out how green the Cob was
    Running gear recycled from a scrap Granada
    Engine recycled from a scrap Range Rover
    Body work fibreglass from recycled glass
    Carpets from scrap ends
    Bonnet and boot stays are old golf club shafts
    Indicator stalks are kitchen door handles
    All sheet metal lining the engine bay scrap from a commercial kitchen
    I only do less than 3000 miles a year
    Etc etc
    In the end he grudgingly admitted " maybe it's not so bad"
    I’ve had some dealings with eco warriors in my day job in the past, specifically Greenpeace. They were well intentioned but often caused as much damage as they resolved. Unintended consequences combined with one track thinking usually to blame.

I was dealing with them about 20 years ago, and I note with interest the major falling out between some of the original members and the new breed since then. These days I’d say it’s hard to separate the political agenda from the environmental one. Interesting times and certainly not an era where you dare take anything at face value.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels

Should I mention Greta at this stage!!
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    Not so

Someone bright spark mandarin has convinced our revolving transient politicans of the merits to produce make-believe money
    Print it....PRINT LOTS of it
    Hoodwink the gullible by giving it a palatable name - quantative easing.
    Put in a £ that's worth a penny

Me.....I'd print 3 Trillions and pay of our Debts to the clown that let us in the first place.
    and keep the extra trillion for the rainy day

Private Fraser
    I think a lot of people have forgotten about wheel barrow money ,
    my advice would be to buy loads of bullion sovereigns or halfs if you can get them.
    You will always be able to trade this way and be able to get a dinner !
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCharlie View Post
    Should I mention Greta at this stage!!
    Charlie
    Best not!!!
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    We have 10 years to build your next vehicle which should be enough time for most !
    Yeah, who'd take longer than that to build .. I guess that gives me two years left?

Best I start the GT40 .. in 2019. I'll get working on the time machine now
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Yeah, who'd take longer than that to build .. I guess that gives me two years left?

Best I start the GT40 .. in 2019. I'll get working on the time machine now
    I guess that preregistered cars needing a rebuild will become more valuable unless they come up with exemptions for new amateur built.

I'd love to build a GT40 but I'm 10 years into the Crendon
    Lloyd B

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    I guess that preregistered cars needing a rebuild will become more valuable unless they come up with exemptions for new amateur built.

I'd love to build a GT40 but I'm 10 years into the Crendon
    Took me basically 10 years, although I never thought it would, as the Sumo took that as well.
    It seems I am unable to stick to the book and build a completely standard car.

I'm convinced there will be be no significant decrease in forecourt petrol, and when that starts to dwindle, these cars will still be in demand on public track days.
    People like a spectacle - look at steam engines - not many high street coal trucks now, but people love them. Not for daily use, but as special occasion vehicles.

As for anyone complaining about my environmental credentials, I just ask '...and where did you go on holiday again?'
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast