Thread: Grub screw size

Grub screw size

Any know what size/format this screw is? Might seem an odd question given that my picture clearly shows the size as 6.30mm but I'm having trouble getting the correct size and thread. This screw holds my fake spinners onto my Image wheels, well that what its supposed to do but they keep working loose and falling off, which is proving expensive! I want to replace them with something more substantial at the tightening end as the Allen key sockets burr if tightened too much and I don't want to use Loctite as I'll never get them off again.

Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

Looks like 1/4" UNC

Jim

Mine are 5.92 mm with a 1mm thread pitch i.e. metric. Yours does look like 1/4 UNC to me too.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Thanks Jim I will give them a try.

Incidentally I just noticed your website and I believe that you are the guy that rebuilt my engine a few years back. I didn't own the car back then it was a guy called Brian in N Ireland. I flew over there a few years back purchase the car and brought it back on the ferry. I've been enjoying it ever since. Many thanks, Kev

Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

Hi Kev ,

Small world !!

Regards
    Jim

Kev, don't be frightened of using Loctite. A hot air gun will break the grip.

Forgot to say earlier - I removed one grub screw from each wheel, drilled a hole through the spinner at the point where the grub screw contacted it and fitted a bolt instead. This means that even if the spinner comes loose - I won't lose it because even the loose bolt is still engaged with the spinner.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Had a helecoil fitted!

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev38 View Post
    Any know what size/format this screw is? Might seem an odd question given that my picture clearly shows the size as 6.30mm but I'm having trouble getting the correct size and thread. This screw holds my fake spinners onto my Image wheels, well that what its supposed to do but they keep working loose and falling off, which is proving expensive! I want to replace them with something more substantial at the tightening end as the Allen key sockets burr if tightened too much and I don't want to use Loctite as I'll never get them off again.

Many thanks
    I have a small issue with my dummy spinner Allen screws/bolts due to having both unc's & metrics .
    It's only been like this for over twenty five years, perhaps it's time to tap the threads and synchronise to unc !
    As for loctite, I've always use a very small amount of the blue and have not yet lost a spinner, I'm now
    touching wood.
    Never had a problem with removal either.
    Chris.

Before I stumbled upon my Trigo wheels I looked at the Image wheels and planned to make a threaded alu stub on the lathe and thread the dummy spinners all the way through so they would fit the stubs, i.e. 2". Would look nice and reduce the risk of losing one if secured with lock wire or indeed with locktite.
    Best Regards, Theo