Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E10!

E10!

Interesting comments on the '2030' thread.
    What are your thoughts on the E10 regulation, soon to be implemented?

It will only be applied to the 95RON grade, with "super unleaded" still at E5 I think?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Now this is an interesting one! I have always used Shell high octane fuel but according to the guys at Classic Oils they (Shell) use the ethanol to boost the octane rating in their octane calculation. So when I add my TetraBoost to remove the ethanol it actually lowers the octane rating!! So apparently I should use Tesco or Esso high octane so I am told. Not actually checked yet. But it seems it is worth researching the details of the various brands.
    As for E10, I chemically remove the Ethanol with TetraBoost and will continue to do so.
    Other than that it’s buy some proper classic fuel but that is very expensive!!

The ethanol content of Shell fuels is actually lower than most:

https://support.shell.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005935369-What-is-Ethanol-

In a reply form their technical department on another forum (currently down so I can't retrieve and quote it!), for all but a couple of their UK distribution points the ethanol content is practically zero, but they have to label it as E5.
    Alan

Ex CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep - please contact me if you're interested in taking on the role!
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)

Dax 427 DeDion - now sold
    2003 E85 Z4 3.0i - the new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    The ethanol content of Shell fuels is actually lower than most:

https://support.shell.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005935369-What-is-Ethanol-

In a reply form their technical department on another forum (currently down so I can't retrieve and quote it!), for all but a couple of their UK distribution points the ethanol content is practically zero, but they have to label it as E5.
    Crikey, that's interesting Alan.
    So should we be to concerned about the deterioration of 'seals, gaskets and alloy parts'?

As is the modern way, the truth is hard to find!!! This is what Esso say about their high octane (which is apparently ethanol free) -

What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol

Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*
    Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.
    There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.

Who knows if that is correct. I might try it and see if the car goes any better on it than the Shell stuff

Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Switched to ESSO super duper a few years back in the tin top (Forester Turbo) and has been a smoother better pulling drive ever since. Shell never seemed to give the promised "extra" anything, the only fuel I have used before that was any better (same car) was Tesco 99 and that was a noticeably better petrol. Can't get it local now so haven't used Tesco for quite a few years so might be different now days.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Roger,

Yes, that's the main problem with ethanol, which the increase from 5% to 10% will exacerbate. The main issues arise when vehicles are laid up for long periods - e.g. SORNing the car over winter. But there are numerous fuel stabilisers available to address this. Many of them are ridiculously overpriced, but I use this one from Toolstation, with a treatment cost of around 5p per litre of fuel in the tank. So before I lay a car up I add the treatment and drive for a few miles to circulate treated fuel around the system.

Having seen how ethanol can perish rubber, I have always avoided the use of braided fuel hoses - I prefer to be able to easily inspect fuel hoses for leakage/damage!

Quote Originally Posted by minesamalt View Post
    Crikey, that's interesting Alan.
    So should we be to concerned about the deterioration of 'seals, gaskets and alloy parts'?
    Alan

Ex CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep - please contact me if you're interested in taking on the role!
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)

Dax 427 DeDion - now sold
    2003 E85 Z4 3.0i - the new toy!

I'm with Alan with regards to fuel hoses,
    mine are just good quality hoses and are supposed to be
    a bit resilient to ethanol .I have recently changed all of my
    hoses on the Cob due to being over twenty years old, no leaks
    but some of the hoses had started to crack.
    On to a slightly different subject, I had a fuel pump problem on my
    old classic Focus 2.0l Ghia of over twenty years.
    As it turned out there was nothing actually wrong with the pump
    other than two connections which go to being loose and had cooked .
    When I saw this it does make you wonder about in-tank pumps,
    they do require a few amps to run these things, unlike a few milli amps
    for the sender units. I've not heard of any issues with these types of set-ups.
    I replaced the pump and connection for less than twenty quid and all good.
    Obviously the plastic fuel pipes to the tank unit had to be removed and would
    discribe these as being as good as new apart from dirt.
    My opinion is that I think the plastic fuel pipes are the better solution.
    Chris.

I don't know how, Chris (because you have a few years on me), but you just made me feel very old by describing a Focus as a classic!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast