Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Views on using a stop leak oil additive (such as Wynns Engine Stop Leak)

Hi

My 1984 Chevy 383 has developed an oil leak from the timing chain cover. As it's quite a big job to replace the gasket and seal, I was advised to try an use a stop leak oil additive such as Wynns 50664, Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak, or similar. Then, if this failed to remedy the leak, proceed with the job of replacing the gasket and seal.

So, my question is, has anyone used any such additives? If so, I'd appreciate your views on the suitability, or otherwise, and any product recommendations.

Regards

Russell

I would tread carefully with any leak sealing. You could end up with oil gallery getting clogged and causing you engine issues. I know the rad weld sealers do stop the leaks but clog the radiator so if it works off the same principle.

If it is the gasket seal for the timing cover I would just replace the gasket and seal over the winter. Its not an engine out but for ease of access I would drop the radiator out and then you have access through the nose making it easier to work on.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

I had a small persistent oil leak from the front of the intake manifold last year.
    Didn't want to take the manifold off at the time, so I cleaned up the leak with rags and degreaser and then applied some silicone gasket with my finger to where the leak was. It's leaked since. Maybe you could do the same until you can get round to replacing the gasket?

Cheers
    Geoff

Save yourself money and disappointment and fix it properly. It's not such a big job and the result will be worth it.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Quote Originally Posted by glip View Post
    I had a small persistent oil leak from the front of the intake manifold last year.
    Didn't want to take the manifold off at the time, so I cleaned up the leak with rags and degreaser and then applied some silicone gasket with my finger to where the leak was. It's leaked since. Maybe you could do the same until you can get round to replacing the gasket?

Cheers
    Geoff
    D'oh, the above should read

"It's NOT leaked since"

Thanks - it's worth a try. Failing that, it looks like it's best to replace the gasket, seal and possibly oil.

Thanks - I was thinking of accessing from underneath as I should have enough space. The main issue is removing the harmonic balancer. If it proves too difficult, then removing the radiator would be a good option.

Thanks Myles - I think I agree with you - fix it once, rather than have to come back to it multiple times

How bad is the leak? Are you losing a lot of oil? Is it making a mess? If the answer to those questions are not much, then just live with it until it gets worse. These old engines are prone to leaks and if it ain't causing much trouble or expense then I'd leave well alone. (It's marking it's territory!)
    Last edited by Clive; 26-11-20 at 04:47 PM.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Quote Originally Posted by Inzapp View Post
    Thanks - I was thinking of accessing from underneath as I should have enough space. The main issue is removing the harmonic balancer. If it proves too difficult, then removing the radiator would be a good option.
    A puller for the balancer is quite a compact thing (you should not use a standard three-legged puller). It is dropping the sump that is more of a PITA.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast