Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tig welders

Tig welders

Been looking at R-Tech tig welders AC/DC and noticed this from Frosts for an Eastwood Tig which one came on offer as a Black Friday Offer. Looks like I will have to run a 32 Amp dedicated feed too the garage. It comes with 3 year warranty so they must trust there kit.

https://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-tig-welder-200-ac-dc/

Or

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/tig-...-ac-dc-160amp/

The Eastwood 200-amp TIG Welder features with High-Frequency Inverter Technology is capable of welding thin or heavy gauge steel and aluminium with precision and ease. Now with Stick Welding Feature!

It look a bit bulky as its not a digital but would meet my requirements for occasional jobs.

Anyone got one or had experience of one?
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

The input current figures look odd - 13A for a 160A machine and 28A for a 200A machine. My 200A TIG runs on a 15A socket. It depends what you are up to but the messing about with car and truck parts that I do I hardly ever run the welder flat-out and a 13A plug would be fine.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

It all depends on length of cable and it's rating. If you have a long run of cable to your garage you may need to upgrade the cable plus the mcb. My mig is OK along as I don't turn it up too much.

Just been on a electrics course.

Andy

Go with the R-Tech, IMHO; comes with a much (much) nicer foot pedal (and using the pedal makes a huge difference once you get a feel for it) and much more configurable.. I have the digital version (TIG170) and it's a lovely machine to use.

As others have said - I haven't found a need to go above 170A yet.

Keep an eye on R-Tech's Special Offers page (https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/weld...pecial-offers/) if you aren't in a rush.. I could have picked up the TIG210 for the same cost as my TIG170 as a shop demo unit if I'd waited. They're also great people to deal with with fantastic after-sales support (a friend snapped one of the controls off his R-Tech MIG - they sent out a replacement FOC as he was happy to solder it in himself) and they're more than happy to give you advice and talk you through stuff on the phone.

Did I make it clear enough that I think the R-Tech is the way to go?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I have a Rtech 260 tig and a Rtech plasma cutter , they are a very good firm to deal with and good backup
    camber compensation and anti roll. http://xcsdesigns.co.uk/

I just bought a R-Tech tig welder with aluminium capability as they are nightly recommended on here. Can't wait to get some use out of it.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Thanks for the feedback.

So many positives for R-Tech and I only hear good things about there back up support with reliability. I think I will be doing mainly steel and stainless with the very concessional aluminium but I know once I start I will probability start to do more ali.

My garage is not fare from my consumer unit.

Myles D-W
    I thought the same that for an additional 40 AMP they state 28 amp. May be the efficiency goes with the 200 amp unit. I don't think I will need the full 200 amp as most work will be light weight stainless and steel max 1/4 inch.

Been watching lots of videos on ali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoWSOC_Gx0w

I have done gas oxy and mig in the past and preferred the control of the gas.
    Last edited by jon1d; 30-11-20 at 01:22 PM.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

The R-Tech 210 is only 16A, and 260A is 32A.. Eastwood's numbers look very odd.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

All I will add is that my MIG, TIG and Plasma Cutter are R-Tech! All my car builder mates use R-Tech. Nothing else needs to be said does it??
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Íf you are thinking about tigging alu, be aware that you do need some serious energy once you go above 5 mm or so...
    Just saying...
    Theo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast