Ford FE owners: remote oil take off

I have got a persistent problem with an oil leak at the take off plate on the engine.
    Rather disappointing as I spent ages flatting the take-off plate, making a new gasket, tightening bolts to correct torque (PITA in the restricted space in-situ) and then tightening the hoses.
    It all ran fine in the garage with the engine up to heat and revved a few ties - no leaks. Then out on the road I did give it a little bit of throttle, but by no means mad-dog behaviour. When I got home after 10 miles: loads of oil round the take-off plate and hoses.

I've used PTFE tape and sealant in various combinations in my tests to try and eliminate the leak without success.

The take-off plate that came with the engine is a rather crap design, in that the hose nuts interfere if not tightened at exactly the right angle to one another.
    Thinking of getting a different design, but which one?
    I have standard plated hose fittings with an anodised blue adaptor to go into the the take-off plate.

Any pics of your installation would be appreciated, or top tips on how to get rid of the leak.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Sounds like you have tried everything! Just to let you know, I had a similar problem, same as you, had it all on and off several times, only to find it was the sender on top leaking and dribbling down. It only did it under load, not on the ramp at tickover. Finally found it by having a handy helper on the throttle and me underneath! It had me fooled for quite a while. Might be worth checking.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Hi Kevin,
    As you know I have a take off plate disaster on my cobra where it actually fell off !!! I now have a Mocal unit which fitted perfectly and gave no leak at all. However I must confess I did do everything up as tight as I sensibly could rather than the torques. PTFE or liquid thread lock could also help.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Quote Originally Posted by pevans View Post
    Hi Kevin,
    As you know I have a take off plate disaster on my cobra where it actually fell off !!! I now have a Mocal unit which fitted perfectly and gave no leak at all. However I must confess I did do everything up as tight as I sensibly could rather than the torques. PTFE or liquid thread lock could also help.
    Hi Phil, Have you got a pic or a link to the product?
    cheers, kev
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Sounds like you have tried everything! Just to let you know, I had a similar problem, same as you, had it all on and off several times, only to find it was the sender on top leaking and dribbling down. It only did it under load, not on the ramp at tickover. Finally found it by having a handy helper on the throttle and me underneath! It had me fooled for quite a while. Might be worth checking.
    think the leak is too big to be the sender - on mine, that is tube to the mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Thinking about this, I think the only way forward is to clean everything up, wrap each bit in kitchen roll and cling film and take it for blast to see which bits leaking.
    If Paul has got a different product that can space the hoses out a bit more then I might try that as well.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun at the moment making a bubbletop for the Crendon. Article in ST to follow once its done.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

My one is like this. I have very little room between the engine and the chassis where the oil filter would go and this was perfect: https://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/moca...p01-1024-p.asp
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

I though I had the same problem with the remote mount but it turned out to be a pinhole leak in one of the Aeroquip hoses squirting onto the top of the mount. I found it by accident when I got a small spray of hot engine oil onto the back of my hand while investigating one day with the engine running.

CONTEMPORARY CCX3-3741

FORD RACING DIVISION 515ci
    JERICO WC4 (Sold)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGUj87r9bY

Had this on a couple. I’ve done away with the gasket and used a decent rtv sealer and I can report good results.

The inlet manifold end seals and timing covers leak just as much too.