Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pilgrim Sumo rear wheel offsets

Hi all,

I have a random question about the Sierra rear wheel offsets. Are the offsets the same on rear drum and rear disc braked cars?

I'm at the early stages and just lining my shell up with the chassis and the tyres protrude by about 6-7mm each side. An instant fail looking at section 37 of the IVA manual.

The tyres are 235/60 on a 16" rim as I like the slightly more beefy tyre look. I could move down to a 225mm version but from what I've read on the forum 235mm should be OK. There's a lot of room between the rear of the wheel and the Chassis/ radius arm.

When I purchased the wheels from Image and did state that it was a rear disc braked version but I'm wondering if they have made the wheels to suit a drum braked car.

Many thanks for your thoughts

Hi, check if you're swing arms are Sierra or Granada. As the ABS Granada version is 6mm a side wider. The mounting plate of the swing arm is 6mm thicker where the ABS sensor is fitted. HTH

If all else fails you can increase the width of the lip on the rear arch using ali or grp, not difficult to do - various Cobra racers did this back in the day.
    But I haven't heard of a difference. I would suggest phonog Pilgrim and check with them - the offsets given in the build manual always used to be wrong btw but they might have fixed this now.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

My Mk2 didn’t pass the IVA last year because of the same issue - different cause though. I put wheel spats on with good double sided tape and it passed - the spats are now long removed. They’re fake carbon fibre finish and look OK - easily available on e-bay or you can have mine if you’re anywhere near Southampton.

Hi All,

Thank you for all your replies, sorry for the delay as I've been spannering in the garage.

I removed the radius arms off the Sierra myself but it could be that they had been replaced at some point. They do appear to have bungs in place to accommodate abs sensors so maybe they could be? I've attached a photo of what they look like from when I built them up. What do you think? Also I'm impressed with your knowledge about the differences between the Sierra and Granada.

P1010299.JPG

You can't really see that the wheels protrude out but the IVA man will.

20201206_194837.jpg

Maybe spats or modifying the shell to add flares is the way forward. Getting the wheels modified will only reduce that nice dished look of the wheels further. Philg66 did you have a link to the ebay spats just so I can see them?

Has anyone flared their bodies? This is the build which keeps giving at the moment .

Quote Originally Posted by Sumocobra View Post

Has anyone flared their bodies? ).

That really is a tiny amount that your tyre is sticking out.
    The Sumo already has flare on the arch - just get some ali strip and pop rivet it on and and somee rubber trim and you'll be done.
    Or just add some trim, and you'll be fine i think.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Search for wheel arch trim on e-bay. As long as they are firmly attached along their length with good quality tape (3M) and you meet the IVA requirements, you should be OK - the IVA tester suggested this to me in case you were wondering.

PhilG66 I think I've found what you were referring to ebay. It just sticks on 3m tape. Does yours look like this in the attached photo?

HTB1UggRbWmWBuNjy1Xaq6xCbXXaK.jpg_q50.jpg

Drammyboy I do like your more permanent solution though of glassing it in to the body. Decisions decisions.

With the IVA does anyone know what the minimum state of finish you can present your car in? Ie could I roughly paint it with black primer aerosols to give it a uniform colour. Then remove the trims etc post IVA and get it properly painted up afterwards. Or will they see through it and demand to see it in a more finished state?

Hi yes they are the ABS ones, if you look at mine in the build section. You can see where I got my knowledge from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast