Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Boot Gas Struts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bradford, West Yorkshire, England.
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,266

    Boot Gas Struts

    Hi

    Has anybody had problems with new boot Struts from Eckold. I ordered two which came and they failed to hold the boot up. I received replacements and they were just the same. These are supposed to be the correct ones for the Dax boot and are rated at 60N. I explained that the Dax units were 40N but they said that was a mistake and the units are actually rated at 60N even though they state 40N.

    Mike

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford Essex
    Posts
    1,560
    I know there is a different rating for the boot rear struts which are rated lower that the bonnet struts. Do you have a lot of thick carpet struck to the boot which adds to the weight.
    I have seen people mount them in two different mounting points for the boot struts. I have mine mounted on the low side about eight to ten inches from the boot floor.( as in the same position of the photo even though its a different mechanism.)
    The Dax manual shows these in different mount point to mine which is an early Dax.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jon1d; 09-01-21 at 12:24 PM.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    16

    Gas struts

    I used 2 x GS8-18-220-280 at 50N in the boot and 2 x GS8-18-350-400 at 80 N for the bonnet, all from SGS Engineering. They are stiff to lift when cold so you might get away with slightly less force, but they hold well. Best to use gas struts in pairs.struts.jpg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Hi

    Has anybody had problems with new boot Struts from Eckold. I ordered two which came and they failed to hold the boot up. I received replacements and they were just the same. These are supposed to be the correct ones for the Dax boot and are rated at 60N. I explained that the Dax units were 40N but they said that was a mistake and the units are actually rated at 60N even though they state 40N.

    Mike
    I’ve also got a Dax with Eckold boot struts which don’t hold the boot up. I’ve used the adjustable struts from SGS for my Viper and they came rated at 100N and they are fine without any de-pressuring. I would imagine the boot weights are roughly the same so I think it’s safe to assume that 60N struts on the Dax are not sufficient. SGS can re-pressure some struts if you send them off for about £25. Mine were not suitable but a new pair from them were only just over £50 I think.
    Dek

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bradford, West Yorkshire, England.
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    I’ve also got a Dax with Eckold boot struts which don’t hold the boot up. I’ve used the adjustable struts from SGS for my Viper and they came rated at 100N and they are fine without any de-pressuring. I would imagine the boot weights are roughly the same so I think it’s safe to assume that 60N struts on the Dax are not sufficient. SGS can re-pressure some struts if you send them off for about £25. Mine were not suitable but a new pair from them were only just over £50 I think.
    Dek
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for that. There is something weird happening as I have had two sets of Eckold struts, 2008 and in 2012 that were fine. This set which are supposed to be for the Dax don't even come close to holding. Discussing this morning with Eckold and will feed back for anybody that is thinking of getting those units in future. Take note of the SGS units and may look at them if I get no joy.

    Mike

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for that. There is something weird happening as I have had two sets of Eckold struts, 2008 and in 2012 that were fine. This set which are supposed to be for the Dax don't even come close to holding. Discussing this morning with Eckold and will feed back for anybody that is thinking of getting those units in future. Take note of the SGS units and may look at them if I get no joy.

    Mike
    Thanks Mike will be interested to hear what Eckold say. They either are not pressurising sufficiently or they are not holding the gas.
    Dek

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Thanks Mike will be interested to hear what Eckold say. They either are not pressurising sufficiently or they are not holding the gas.
    Dek
    Hi Mike
    Did you get anywhere with Eckold?
    Dek

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    539
    My old struts, both boot and bonnet gave up the ghost a couple of years back. I spoke to Mark Watton of Eckhold and found him very helpful.
    The original struts for the boot were 40N. However the new ones were not man enough for the job so they swapped them for 60N which are fine.
    The bonnet ones are 90N but when these decide to pack up I will fit 100N. 90N are fine but but there is not much resistance when closing down the bonnet.
    David.

    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

    Wessex region caretaker rep.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    My old struts, both boot and bonnet gave up the ghost a couple of years back. I spoke to Mark Watton of Eckhold and found him very helpful.
    The original struts for the boot were 40N. However the new ones were not man enough for the job so they swapped them for 60N which are fine.
    The bonnet ones are 90N but when these decide to pack up I will fit 100N. 90N are fine but but there is not much resistance when closing down the bonnet.
    Thanks for that David. I’ll give Mark Watton a call.
    Dek

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •